|ITT ratings of top leaders||Mike M|
Jul 14, 2003 7:44 AM
|OK, this looks like a race. Lance gave up more time than I would have expected today, partially due to the crash of Beloki.
Run down how these guys rate in time trials. I know Ulrich and Armstrong are good but what about the others?
Thanks, I'm getting worried.....
Jul 14, 2003 8:05 AM
|I guess in the grand scheme of things, there is a lot of race left in the 2003 Tour. The TT abilities of the top contenders are as follows:
1. Armstrong: Best TTer in the world, on any given TdF stage.
2. Vinokourov: Solid TTer, historically finishes around 10th place in TdF TTs, usually about 3 minutes back - but he could have a breakout performance.
3. Mayo: This is his first Tour, but he has won some D1 time trials in the past, at Dauphine Libere among others. He's definitely a threat to put up a good ride.
4. Mancebo: Top 20 TTer, but will not contend at the end of the day.
5. Hamilton: Top 5 TTer, could put out a great ride, maybe even beet Armstrong. Injury could be a big factor.
6. Ullrich: Probably better, on average, than Armstrong. Doesn't mean he will beat him, but it's always a good race.
7. Basso: Top 25 TTer, won't be there at the end of the day.
The race isn't over yet - but the top is certainly stacked with guys who can TT. There are still quite a few hills to put distance between Armstrong and some of them.
|Only thing I would add...||Dwayne Barry|
Jul 14, 2003 8:12 AM
|is that I think Mayo's good TT's have come on courses with significant uphills, not sure how he'll fair on the flat TdF TT's.|
|Yes, Mayo TTs are Mtn ones, look at '03 D-L in June nm||noveread|
Jul 14, 2003 8:25 AM