Jul 10, 2003 7:34 AM
|His performance today on stage 5 was staggering. I'm duly impressed and I don't like sprint stages and don't know much about them.
With about 200 meters to go, he was in 6th place with no teammates. He shoots out in the left and wins easily. He puts his hands in the air not without a lot of celebration. He made the impossible look so easy. Everybody around him was shellshocked.
A couple of points:
- If you're going to watch OLN tonight, note the crucial overhead camera view with 200 meters to go. His speed and acceleration is insane! He shot passed the leading 5 like they were standing still.
- Timing is impeccable. Fassa Bartolo rider was leading out Brad Mcgee and seemed to pull out 1 second too late. It's that or Petacchi just sensed this and shot out right before the leadout rider gave Mcgee a chance.
- Cipollini wasn't soo bad after all in the Giro. Cipo got shelled by Petacchi in the first few mano-a-mano sprints. Cipo looked so demoralized getting beat handily by this no-name rider. Does anyone have that photo of Cipo lookin over to Petacchi after he got beat??? Well Cipo, it ain't so bad. This guy is the real deal. Young blood. The new italian 'devil'.
photo from Stage 3
|cipo photo and and edits...||fcebedo|
Jul 10, 2003 8:02 AM
|The cipo photo I mentioned is below.
A couple of errors in my post above:
- i meant Petacchi did not celebrate wildly today as he won
- also the leadout rider for Brad Mcgee is an FDJeux rider..
|Petacchi is the new Cipo...The only question remaining is...||Frith|
Jul 10, 2003 8:57 AM
|What kind of cool shortened name are we going to give him? Pacchi won't work because it's not very PC. |
Petacc just sounds dumb.
Tacchi...well that sounds like something you might call cipo when he wears his zebra outfits.
Nevertheless this dude is for real.
|how about chi chi?||mfuchs1|
Jul 10, 2003 9:54 AM
Jul 10, 2003 10:35 AM
|no originality but it sure sounds good. Any other suggestions? Tacchi Express?
Here's a photo from today. Like I mentioned earlier, ho-hum another day in the office expression and the rest of the riders... shellshocked!
|VIVE CHI CHI! ....i like it. (nm)||Frith|
Jul 10, 2003 10:36 AM
|re: vive Allesandro!!||Mike M|
Jul 10, 2003 9:23 AM
|This just makes me more frustrated that Cipo is not in the tour. Just think how much fun this first week would have been with Cipo and Petacchi battling it out.
I think Cipo's team would have had an interesting effect on these first few stages because they are so disciplined at the lead out. I know Cipo is good but sometimes I think he pulls off the win because him and his team basically make it impossible for anyone else to win.
Unlike in today's stage and the previous sprint stages of this tour where it is very much the fastest man wins because there is no real organization or lead outs - just mayhem.
|Yup...might be the next Cipo! Young, Fast, Italian, but is he...||jtferraro|
Jul 10, 2003 9:57 AM
|Stylin' too? ;-)
How did Zabel do today? I hope Mr. UCI/Green jersey wins a later stage.
I do wish Cipo was invited to the tour. It would be interesting to have seen he & Petacchi go at it and to see how successful Cipo's lead out "train" would be against the rest of the sprinters.