's Forum Archives - Retro - Classic Bikes

Archive Home >> Retro - Classic Bikes

Semi-retro component question(3 posts)

Semi-retro component questionCaseysdad
Sep 18, 2003 11:10 AM
I've got an '81 Colnago Super. Probably not old enough to qualify as truly "retro", but definitely too old to find much in terms of specs elsewhere. Anyway, it needs a new bottom bracket and, given that I've got Racing Triple cranks, I need to stick with the AC-H model that I've got now. Unfortunately, I can't tell whether I need the 111 mm or the 115.5 mm size. Any chance of tracking down a source for a definitive answer? Thanks much!
Branford or SheldonSteve Bailey
Sep 25, 2003 4:46 AM

If you have a vernier or some other...Tom C
Sep 30, 2003 10:29 AM
measuring device measure the width of the shell. If 70mm, probably, if an early 80s Colnago you have an Italian bottom bracket. If 68 mm, unlikely, it's English. That's all you need to know. BBs are matched then to the cranks you plan to use with the longer spindled one for triple. Remember if Italian it must be very tight.