's Forum Archives - Retro - Classic Bikes

Archive Home >> Retro - Classic Bikes

oversized tubing(3 posts)

oversized tubingFrith
Oct 9, 2002 7:48 AM
I'm looking for a frame to build up a fixie. I'm thinking Something from the 80's is probably the best bet as far as costs go. I like the oversized tubing on the cannondales from back then but that kind of limits my choices. Was there anybody else doing that kind of thing back then that I should be adding to my ebay search? I'm not looking for huge tubes necessarily, but I'm just not so keen of the really skinny ones that dominated the market back then.
Also I know i should be looking for a particular kind of dropouts. Anybody care to explain exactly what I should be looking for?
Vertical dropouts on a C'Dale won't workDave Hickey
Oct 9, 2002 9:36 AM
You need semi-horizontal or horizontal dropouts for a fixie. Cannondales(and most aluminum frames) have vertical dropouts. Unless you get lucky, you won't get the proper chain tension. Companies sell chain tensioners but they will work for single speeds not fixies.
This link will explain dropouts......Dave Hickey
Oct 9, 2002 9:41 AM
Sheldon Brown is the guru on single speeds and fixies