RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Retro - Classic Bikes

Archive Home >> Retro - Classic Bikes

27" Rims, I need help(14 posts)

27" Rims, I need helpLone Gunman
Apr 25, 2002 4:12 PM
Restoring my '78 Viscount (still) and I have been trying to buy a set of rims for 2 months now. The first try was with the LBS and they were Sun CR18. Supplier sent the wrong size, 700 and very wide. Tried for a Ritchey, same LBS, again wrong size. I called 3 other shops looking for a source of rims, nothing. Got on line and found a company bikepartsusa.com who claimed to have Weinmann 27" 32hole rims so I ordered. They arrived today and they were mismarked and the wrong size, and they were absolute garbage, without a doubt the worst rims I have ever seen. They were milled, the entire rim was milled aluminum. I have one deal pending on a set of Wolber Alpine rims but they are in Scotland. Does anyone know where I can get 27" 32 hole rims stateside? LBSes are not helping at all.
The ad's a month old but it's worth a try.Dave Hickey
Apr 25, 2002 4:21 PM
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wolber+group:rec.bicycles.marketplace&start=10&hl=en&scoring=d&selm=qctj9u01mt4c1orh0q8006hsi3k6f3dpg7%404ax.com&rnum=12
Link didn't work. Try thisDave Hickey
Apr 25, 2002 4:23 PM
From: Tim G. (animalz11@hotmail.com)
Subject: FS:Wheels and rims
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.marketplace
Date: 2002-03-21 07:04:03 PST

For Sale:
1 pair of Wolber Super Champion Model 58 27" rims, one has been built
and ridden for less than 20 miles, the other has never been laced.
Both are in excellent condition.
Prefer to sell as a pair, 45.00 for the pair, shipped.
re: 27" Rims, I need helpWalter
Apr 25, 2002 5:47 PM
The current Nashbar or Performance, I'm not sure which but I'll double check for you if this sounds helpful, is currently selling 27" built up wheels on a freewheel hub. Don't know much about them but think it was not much more than $100 for a set. Not a true resto item as you wouldn't have your original Shimano 600 hubs but it'd get you on the road quickly.
NashbarSteveO
Apr 26, 2002 6:39 AM
27" Velocity's. freewheel or cassette hub. $70 rear 60 front. if i do recall.
Not sure of that...Lone Gunman
Apr 26, 2002 9:33 AM
I just visited the site to take a peek and ordering 27" rims is not a provided option. 700 are the only option today.
hmmmmmm.....SteveO
Apr 26, 2002 10:32 AM
im POSITIVE my hardcopy at home as 'em.... i know because im contemplating the same. perhaps theyre just backordered?

ill verify when i get home and repost.
ahhh...SteveO
Apr 26, 2002 10:36 AM
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=126&subcategory=1136&brand=&sku=6238&storetype=&estoreid=

Apparently they're available; but not in stock.
the best source when all else fails isSpirito
Apr 25, 2002 6:21 PM
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm

they have a stack of 27" rims.

the sun rims i think offer th best value and looks

good luck. maybe band together with a few here and do a bulk order for some things. save on shipping

ciao
St John Street CyclesDave Hickey
Apr 26, 2002 3:19 AM
I bought a LOOK frame from SJS cycles. Great service.
Sun 27" rims !surly357
Apr 28, 2002 4:35 PM
Could it be your LBS REALLY CAN'T get these from any of their suppliers? Please beware of Sun 27" rims mail order or from wherever, I built some up for a guy in a similar situation a few years back and apparently they missed being heat treated or something, when stressed it felt like bending lead!!!! Had to use some cheapo Weinmanns, but they built up into surprisingly good wheels (they were 36 hole, though. 27" 32 hole is a truly unique request these days.....).
re: 27" Rims, I need helpcurlybike
Apr 28, 2002 8:18 PM
I have access to an old Viscount with fork(which was recalled as a hazard) If you might want it, get back. There is an old Lambert, also. I assume that you are aware of the problems that Viscount had with the forks?
The Death Fork! nmscottfree
Apr 29, 2002 6:41 AM
re: 27" Rims, I need helpLone Gunman
Apr 29, 2002 2:03 PM
Well aware. I gave the bike away last summer and ran across the "Death Fork" article on the net this past winter and was able to recover the bike from the group I gave it to and got a fork evaluation, it is a chromo fork with chrome tips.