's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

Trivia question ... what is -(6 posts)

Trivia question ... what is -sacheson
Oct 16, 2003 2:33 PM
the historic meaning of "pein" in a ball-pein hammer?

It's the Thursday afternoon discussion at work.
analogous to "shot-pein"? nmDougSloan
Oct 16, 2003 2:41 PM
erm ... I guess so ...sacheson
Oct 16, 2003 2:50 PM
I did actually find an answer (right after I posted here - the luck, eh?).

Peining is a process where an metal worker manipulates their media. There are several tools allowing them to do so, of which there is a cross pein, square pein, and a ball pein that all come in a hammer type. The ball pein is used to either texture or flatten the material when the worker wants to make the material thinner in the flattening process.

What I find most interesting is ball pein is the term to describe the round part of the hammer head, not (as we though) a hammer with a ball and a pein - that was throwing us.

So, I guess that is analogous to shot-peining. Thanks! (I tend to work well with analogies)
definition of the hammerColnagoFE
Oct 17, 2003 8:44 AM
The word peen (also /spelled pein) means the end of a hammer head opposite the face when adapted for striking; usually shaped for indenting, as when pointed, conical, hemi-spherical, or wedge shaped.
interesting. Thanks. (nm)sacheson
Oct 17, 2003 8:54 AM
also etymologyColnagoFE
Oct 17, 2003 9:06 AM
peen - 1683, "sharp or thin end of a hammer head, opposite the face," probably from a Scand. source (cf. Norw. penn "peen," O.Sw. pæna "beat iron thin with a hammer").

Yes I have way too much time on my hands this morning! ;)