RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions


Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )


Job Decision Dilema(5 posts)

Job Decision Dilemamexican-JUMPING-frijoles
Sep 24, 2003 9:33 AM
A few weeks ago I received a call from a former co-worker who informed me of a job opening in her department. This position is for an Admin Assistant in a very specialized area of the company, which I also interned in for two summers. I am highly familiar with that area of the company, something which I know that hardly anybody else within the company is familiar with. As interviews got underway, as we started talking about financials, I was told I would be receiving a slight raise compared to my current position. This difference is of approximately $1600. Upon talking to my mentor (who used to work for the company) he told me I should request more money considering that I've worked for them before and I am highly qualified for the position. He suggested asking for aprox. $4000 more than what was being offered. According to what he said, my former co-worker and the department needs me more than I need them, considering they called me.
This position requires relocation, from San Francisco to San Diego. I will not be provided with relocation funds, but my manager (or who might be my manager) has agreed to repay me via adding hours to the time cards until I have been compensated. When I stated that I considered the salary low, she said that it had already been raised since the last person left by almost a dollar an hour, and that had to be approved at the directors level. She also stated that this position would prepare me for an upcoming opening in Sales, which is something I plan to get into. This new position would be opening in about 3-6 months, although the time frame has not been set yet.
My current situation with my job is that I dislike it. It is extremely boring and I am over qualified for it, plus it's in a field I have no intention of sticking around in.
So in conclusion, should I reject the offer if it does not include the $4000 I'm requesting, or should I go ahead with the move. I feel that if I accept at the current rate I'm be losing money on the long run, but then again if I stay where I;m currently at, I will also be losing out on money and preparation for the next job.

Any advice?
re: Job Decision Dilemamohair_chair
Sep 24, 2003 9:47 AM
Ask for the $4000, but this sounds kind of fishy to me. Your manager has to go to the director level to get another buck an hour, but adding false hours to timecards is okay? She can and should be fired for doing stuff like that.

Either ask for the $4000 to "cover your moving expenses," or ask for a signing bonus. The bonus is one-time compensation that keeps your salary low, but by next year you'll be in sales, earning more money. Right?

If you don't get the money, so what? You get a better job, better opportunity, and it's cheaper to live just about anywhere other than San Francisco, so your lower salary is offset by lower living expenses. Also, relocation expenses may be tax-deductible, for what that's worth.
re: Job Decision Dilemagf99
Sep 24, 2003 12:03 PM
The money difference isn't enough to change your life so look at from a job satisfaction and personal life perspective. However, the fudging the time card business is a huge red flag. Also, base your decision on the position you're applying for, not the one supposedly 3-6 months down the road which may or may not materialize.

My two cents. Good luck.
lots of red flagsColnagoFE
Sep 24, 2003 12:22 PM
Padding the timesheet? Red Flag. No relocation expense? Red Flag though common in entry level jobs I guess. Won't consider raising the salary? Red Flag. Tell them to get the director on the horn then and see if he has more $ in the budget. $1 an hour more is not all that much. I imagine if this position is really needed and you are the best candidate they will open up the purse strings a bit to get you. The "approval at directo level" thing sounds like a copout to me. Upcoming opening in Sales? Don't count on it. Why would they get you in and train you if they know you are jumping ship in 3 months? Whatever you do get it all in writing before quitting your present job. Once you are there you will be at their mercy without a formal agreement.
Great advice.Jon Billheimer
Sep 24, 2003 1:03 PM
Take it ALL to heart. Plus I would add one more thing. What kind of company is this that is so top down that senior management micromanages compensation for a junior position such as the one you're co nsidering? Do you want to work in such an environment? Also sounds like a lot of dishonesty and manipulation going on at the middle management level.