's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

Question on importing a rifle into the US(2 posts)

Question on importing a rifle into the USFender
Sep 18, 2003 7:41 AM
When I lived in Mexico my father gave me a Winchester 30-30 rifle. It is more of a collectors item since it's a centenial edition of the one used by the Canadian Mounted police. I'm not sure how he aquired it, but I believe it was a gift he received when working for Mexico's power company in the seventies.
Now, currently I am living in the US and would like to have this rifle with me but not sure how to get it across legally (rifle is still in Mexico). Anybody know about special permits or laws?

Disclaimer: I do not plan on using the rifle as a weapon or as a sporting item. The only reason I have it is because I have an appreciation for it's beauty and it has a special meaning to me.
Sep 18, 2003 11:32 AM
Ask your LGS (local gun shop). They are licensed to do the import for you. It will cost you about $50-75.