|Cultural References for 18-Year-Olds||MJ|
Sep 3, 2003 7:00 AM
Cultural References for 18-Year-Olds
Wednesday September 3, 2003 3:09 PM
By The Associated Press
The Beloit College ``Mindset List'' for the Class of 2007
Most students entering college this fall were born in 1985. To them:
1. Ricky Nelson, Richard Burton, Samantha Smith, Laura Ashley, Orson Welles, Karen Ann Quinlan, Benigno Aquino, and the U.S. Football League have always been dead.
2. They are not familiar with the source of that ``Giant Sucking Sound.''
3. Iraq has always been a problem.
4. ``Ctrl Alt Del'' is as basic as ``ABC.''
5. Paul Newman has always made salad dressing.
6. Pete Rose has always been a gambler.
7. Bert and Ernie are old enough to be their parents.
8. An automatic is a weapon, not a transmission.
9. Russian leaders have always looked like leaders everyplace else.
10. The snail darter has never been endangered.
11. There has always been a screening test for AIDS.
12. Gas has always been unleaded.
13. They never heard Howard Cosell call a game on ABC.
14. The United States has always had a poet laureate.
15. Garrison Keillor has always been live on public radio, and Lawrence Welk has always been dead on public television.
16. Their families drove SUVs without ``being fuelish.''
17. There has always been some association between fried eggs and your brain.
18. They would never leave their calling card on someone's desk.
19. They have never been able to find the ``return'' key.
20. Computers have always fit in their backpacks.
21. Datsuns have never been made.
22. They have never gotten excited over a telegram, a long distance call or a fax.
23. The Osmonds are just talk show hosts.
24. College athletes (those still enrolled as undergraduates) have always been a part of the NBA and NFL draft.
25. They have always ``grazed'' for food.
26. Three-point shots from ``downtown'' have always been a part of basketball.
27. Test tube babies are now having their own babies.
28. Stores have always had scanners at the checkout.
29. The Army has always driven Humvees.
30. Adam and PC Junior computers had vanished from the market before this generation went online.
31. The Statue of Liberty has always had a gleaming torch.
32. They have always had a PIN number.
33. Banana Republic has always been a store, not a puppet government in Latin America.
34. Car detailing has always been available.
35. Directory assistance has never been free.
36. The Jaycees have always welcomed women as members.
37. There has always been Lean Cuisine.
38. They have always been able to fly Virgin Atlantic.
39. There have never been dress codes in restaurants.
40. Doctors have always had to deal with ``reasonable and customary fees'' and patients have always had controls placed on the number of days they could stay in a hospital.
41. They have always been able to make photocopies at home.
42. Michael Eisner has always been in charge of Disney.
43. They have always been able to make phone calls from planes.
44. Yuppies are almost as old as hippies.
45. Rupert Murdoch has always been an American citizen.
46. Strawberry Fields has always been in New York.
47. Rock 'n' roll has always been a force for social good.
48. Killer bees have always been swarming in the United States.
49. They have never seen a first lady in a fur coat.
50. Don Imus has always been offending someone in his national audience.
In all fairness it should be understood that students entering college this fall do have a few items on their own lists that will separate them from many of their mentors:
1. For many of them today, it's all about the ``bling, bling.''
2. They know w
Sep 3, 2003 7:08 AM
|Gratuitous display of wealth, i.e. big diamond jewelry (nm)||TJeanloz|
Sep 3, 2003 7:15 AM
|especially in an over the top "gangsta" sense (nm)||ColnagoFE|
Sep 3, 2003 9:19 AM
|Now also known as "flossing" (nm)||newridr|
Sep 3, 2003 11:28 AM
|you implying that bert and ernie are gay?????||ClydeTri|
Sep 3, 2003 7:59 AM
|you implying that bert and ernie are gay?????||Spoiler|
Sep 3, 2003 1:03 PM
|Ernie: Hey Bert?
Ernie: Are you asleep Bert?
Bert: I was.
Ernie: Hey Bert?
Ernie: Wanna try sleeping naked?
Bert: No, now go to sleep.
Ernie: Hey Bert?
Ernie: Wanna take a bath?
|Did the author of the peice actually attend college?||Kristin|
Sep 3, 2003 1:35 PM
|Slept through class perhaps? Perhaps there is hope for me as a journalist after all. But then some ditzy girl would eventually post cutting remarks about my workmanship on a public cycling forum, and that would simply not do.|
|These lists go around,||TJeanloz|
Sep 4, 2003 4:58 AM
|I don't know who the first person to come up with this concept was, but at the University of Colorado, there was a similar list written every year and distributed to the faculty. The reasoning is that you had 75 year-old professors making cultural references to Eisenhower, and they just didn't realize that the kids in the classroom had no chance of understanding it. The lists are developed to put some perspective around who the incoming class of 2007 is, so that older people have some idea what they have and have not seen in life.|| |