's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

Hump or Bump?(20 posts)

Hump or Bump?mohair_chair
Apr 30, 2003 9:24 AM
They installed some speed bumps on a street I ride on. They are very wide, more like burial mounds, so it's no big deal for bikes. On the road, before the bump/mound, they painted the word "HUMP." I find that funny in a juvenile way, but also very strange. Everywhere else I've ever been, it's "BUMP." In this one place, it's HUMP. They also posted a vaguely worded sign that says "Traffic Revision," so I don't know what book they are working from!

What is it where you live: HUMP or BUMP?
Hmmm. Sounds like a command to meKristin
Apr 30, 2003 10:06 AM
Perhaps they will place tents along side the street for privacy. In the 5 states I've live in, NH, CT, VT, NY & IL, they are known as speed bumps. They installed one like the one you described at my church last year. They set the curve, height and length just right so that it would bottom out anything smaller than an SUV. Geez, thanks. They shaved it down 2 days later.
In ChicagoIFTreedog
Apr 30, 2003 10:17 AM
In the Windy City they have signs announcing 'Speed Hump'.

Juvenile, yes, but still funny every time.
Apr 30, 2003 10:47 AM
Never seen one!
You gotta look for 'em..IFTreedog
Apr 30, 2003 11:24 AM
Up Lincoln in the alley ways. One right around the corner from the Army-Navy store.
re: Hump or Bump?DougSloan
Apr 30, 2003 10:20 AM

NEED MODERATOR! ;-)sacheson
May 1, 2003 4:59 AM
Can we say FART on this site?
only in SwedishDougSloan
May 1, 2003 7:17 AM
Means "speed preventer" in Swedish

I thought it meant "Nice Rack Ahead" (nm)js5280
May 1, 2003 4:02 PM
I think the literal interpretation would be "Scenic View" (nm)DougSloan
May 1, 2003 4:05 PM
There is a distinction...Brooks
Apr 30, 2003 10:26 AM
A speed HUMP is just like you describe: gradual incline, wide platform, sometimes with a textured surface. Generally for speeds around 20-25 mph. A speed BUMP is narrow in width with steep sides. Anything over 10mph will give you a serious jolt. Police and other emergency vehicles hate bumps because they have to replace the shocks every year. I had to drive for a year in Tacoma Park, MD where they have gone crazy with bumps. I would brake hard right before the bump to bring the front end down, then release to unweight the front and go over at a better speed. Other people just honk the horn to annoy the neighbors who apparently insist on having two every block. On speed humps, the local teens where I now live figured out that if you go faster the shocks absorb the hump without as much impact inside.
In New England they're "Frost Heaves" (nm)eyebob
Apr 30, 2003 12:07 PM
In Florida they're called hills (nm)Captain Morgan
Apr 30, 2003 12:23 PM
I prefer *slow hump* to *speed hump* -most- of the time. nmNo_sprint
Apr 30, 2003 12:29 PM
Let's be Politically Correct4bykn
Apr 30, 2003 1:02 PM
Our local government refers to them as
b "Traffic-calming Devices"
re: Technically there called calming bumpsjrm
Apr 30, 2003 1:18 PM
AS in calming traffic ie: slowing or restriciting movement.
Sounds like something you'd get a spa. nmKristin
May 1, 2003 5:05 AM
i'm for it nmJS Haiku Shop
May 1, 2003 6:48 AM
That's "hump or DUMP," aka "My way or the highway."cory
May 1, 2003 7:50 AM
Sorry; hadn't thought of that expression in years. It just popped into my head.
Which brings upOldEdScott
May 1, 2003 10:04 AM
'Dump the Hump,' another oldie but goodie.

(Hubert Humphrey in 1968, for all you pups out there).