's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm in the 9th level of phone hell!! Simple tax ? inside.(8 posts)

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm in the 9th level of phone hell!! Simple tax ? inside.Kristin
Mar 17, 2003 8:44 AM
I had to call the IRS today. I'd rather have a root canal with no anesthetic. I finally hung up. Okay, so I have my 2002 return PRINTED on PAPER in one hand, and a stamped ENVELOP in the other. And for the first time in nearly a year I'm going to use SNAIL MAIL to do something. (This all compliments of TurboCrap for the web.) However, I can't find my damn W2's. Can anyone tell me if I still need to attach those to a snail mailed return or may I forgo them?

Has anyone else had problems with TT for the web?
re: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm in the 9th level of phone hell!! Simple tax ? inside.Me Dot Org
Mar 17, 2003 9:06 AM
"If you need help with your W-2s, please press 6, for help with carpal tunnel syndrome developed as a result of our automated information system, please press 7 repeatedly..."

Been there. As for your W-2s, I think you need attach them to your W-2, but I'm not 100% positive, and if you think I'm going to phone the IRS...
not understanding problemDougSloan
Mar 17, 2003 9:29 AM
I've used TurboTax for 10 years or so. The last few, I have filed electronically. What's the actual problem in e-filing? (Is that what you mean by "TurboCrap for the web" -- e-filing?)

Yeah, efiling failed 3 times in a rowKristin
Mar 17, 2003 10:22 AM
But I got confirmations each time saying it went thru. Twice I was on the phone with a tech (I paid $14.95 for each call), when I tried to efile and it went thru and spit back a confirmation number. Then several weeks later--when I'd remember my return and realize I hadn't gotten my check--I'd go back to TurboTax and it would be as if I never completed my return. So anyway. I'm done with them. No because they have a bug which bit me (that happens); but because their support really sucks. God forbid you ever need their help. A $40 single use license should include a free support call.

Anyway. My only question today is: can I file my 1040 on paper without the paper W2 attached? (Cuz I can't find my W2's right now.)
easy...throw away turbo tax and pay a CPA to do them (nm)ColnagoFE
Mar 17, 2003 9:33 AM
Survey says...mohair_chair
Mar 17, 2003 10:01 AM
If you are filing electronically, the answer is no. You seem to be filing by mail, so the answer is yes. But why worry? W-2s are easy to get--just call your HR/payroll office. They might have at least the current year's on file in the office, or they can call the payroll people and have it faxed over immediately.

The IRS says this on their website for "Forms W-2 Are Required." The last line is important.

"When filing electronically taxpayers must provide Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R to the Authorized IRS e-file Provider before the Provider sends the electronic return to the IRS. Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer. Taxpayers filing electronic returns using a personal computer enter the data from the forms into the electronic filing software themselves. This is similar to the attachment of Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R to the face of paper tax returns."
Thank you. Thank you.Kristin
Mar 17, 2003 10:27 AM
I was digging around on the IRS site and couldn't find that info. Thanks for finding it. When I tried to call I became aware that they were trying to trap my soul in their phone system. (I was foolish enough to think that they actually have phones on their desks at the IRS. Instead all the phone numbers route to the collective that steals the souls of women, children and old men.) LOL. Why didn't I think to call payroll? I'll blame it on Monday.
re: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! I'm in the 9th level of phone hell!! Simple tax ? inside.chriscpa
Mar 17, 2003 5:19 PM
NO, if you file them electronically you should be able to file them via the web, but you have to have Employer's ID # and their address and control no