's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

Need good Orthopedic doctor/surgeon.(8 posts)

Need good Orthopedic doctor/surgeon.SplatMaster
Aug 12, 2002 11:19 AM
I need to find a good orthopedic doctor/surgeon (in the bay area) to give me a 2nd opinion on a collar bone that I think was not set properly (I'm not into the my current Quasimodo look or function).
I'm not an orthopedist,TJeanloz
Aug 12, 2002 1:08 PM
I'm no doctor, but I have broken a few collarbones in my day, and I'm not sure what you mean by "set" properly. Every case I had was a situation of being in a horribly uncomfortable "figure 8"; a device that looked like it belonged on a 19th century woman. But I don't think an orthopedist has any say in how the bone 'sets'. I could be wrong though, this has just been my experience.
I'm not an orthopedist,SplatMaster
Aug 12, 2002 1:26 PM
Maybe "set properly" is not the proper term but I am looking for doctor to check on how my collarbone is healing. My current doctor is only concerned with whether it has joined together (it has), not what shape that joint is (a large Z shape). I want to find a doctor who has more experience with broken collarbones and can tell me if the way mine is currently healing will cause me any long term problems. The collarbone is healing with one end overlapping the other which besides causing a large lump along most of the length of the bone, shortens the length of the collar bone which pulls the shoulder inward and upward noticeably.
What do you want them to do?Wayne
Aug 13, 2002 4:54 AM
I think this is a case of nature taking it's course and then working with what you got. If the fracture wasn't joined then they would have had to have gone in a pinned/plated it, right? So the MD must have felt the ends of the fracture were well approximated (was it even a complete fracture?). What do you mean the ends are overlapping? You should have a bump that's called a "callus" and I think is part of the normal healing process.
What do you want them to do?SplatMaster
Aug 13, 2002 8:54 AM
I don't have a bump on my clavicle, I have a ridge extending from the sternum out to where the bones overlap where the break was. The ridge is formed from the one piece of clavicle being pushed forward from the overlap of the other piece. My concern is that since my clavicle is now shorter befcause of the overlap, that it pulls my shoulder up and forward a noticeably out of it correct alignment. Long term, I think this will cause problems because of the bad alignment. Hopefully this is not the case but I want an experienced doctor to clarify this. My original doctor that was assigned to me was inexperienced, not informative and mostly seemed to be covering his ass when I talked to him.
Bottom line, I am hoping to get recommendations about a good orthepedic doctor who can take a look at the shoulder and the x-rays and tell me whether it is okay in it's current state or if it should be fixed.
I'm not a radiologist or even an MD...Wayne
Aug 13, 2002 9:21 AM
but what did the fracture look like, do you have the X-rays? If there was a long splinter of bone that came off that may be what is causing the ridge? Are you sure that you're not just keeping your shoulder on that side rounded forward to prevent stressing the clavicle? Was it a complete fracture? I'd be very surprised if the clavicle was actually broken bad enough that it could overlap and they didn't go in and fix it with screws, etc., but I guess you never know. I would think any orthopeadic doc or even radiologist could tell you if you have a problem or not. The next question is what are you willing to do about it? Have it re-broken and set with plates, pins, etc. is the only solution I can think of. But maybe you'll get peace of mind by going to see a specialist.
Cross FractureSplatMaster
Aug 13, 2002 10:15 AM
The fracture is across the radius of the bone, not along the length and the two peices were completely seperated. The fracture was about an inch inward from where the clavicle connects to the shoulder so with the overlap at the fracture it raises that end of the clavicle forward about an inch causing a ridge from there to the sternum.

I am willing to get it fixed if it's going to cause me problems in the future, even if this means rebreaking it (prefereably not the way I did it the 1st time). Basically I do want peace of mind which I did not get from the 1st doctor I talked with.
Probably it broke just to the inside....Wayne
Aug 13, 2002 10:45 AM
of where the various ligaments that hold the clavicle in place against the scapula are located, I think this is the common place where it fractures (these ligaments are what you tear if you seperate your shoulder). So without anything to anchor the sternal side of the fracture down, it pops up. I think this is in part why you are in a sling, to keep the shoulder side of the fracture from being pulled down relative to the sternal side. Go see a specialist. I would suspect nothing is wrong, bone is a dynamic structure like muscle and the fracture site will continue to remodel for a long time after the actual fracture heals.