|as a follow up to empacher6's question||weiwentg|
Jul 10, 2002 12:25 AM
|I'm just curious. how many of you (ladies and gents) would mind going out with:
1) an older lady or a younger man?
2) someone of a different race?
3) a shorter guy or a taller girl?
incidentally, my height makes question 3 quite relevant to me.
|as a follow up to empacher6's question||AllisonHayes|
Jul 10, 2002 8:11 AM
|1. yes; no |
3. no; yes
there is a big difference between "going out" and having a relationship. Going out with friends or a friend has no boundaries.
However, if your question is more along the line of developing a relationship, then threshold boundaries do enter into the picture. These differences are, however, mitigated by the individual and there are exceptions to these rules based upon factors such as level of maturity, values, humor, range and depth of interests both individual and shared, character, ability to deal with stress and ambiguity, education and attitude which far outweigh the three criteria you mentioned:
1. Age -- generally none within a few years either way
2. Ethnicity -- generally not
3. Height - generally not within a few inches, since I am 5' 13", my options are somewhat restricted. However, above rules always apply.
Very interesting question which addresses a number of the superficial barriers that we all experience. I don't know if this helps you or not. I would like to hear others thoughts on the subject as well.
|and the most important item...||AllisonHayes|
Jul 10, 2002 4:29 PM
|Allison's sure fire soul mate test
(guaranteed to work 99.999% of the time)
1. kind of road bike ridden:
Colango, DeRosa, Pinarello - Definitely soul mate material
Seven, Calfee, Waterford, Serotta, or other custom -- Probably soul mate material
TCR 0, Trek - Could be soul mate material but depends on kind of helmet
Anything Litespeed - You're outta here 'ya slimeball
happy hunting, weiwentg :)
|TCR 0 with a Giro Havoc? :)||weiwentg|
Jul 10, 2002 11:11 PM
|if it helps, the Seven is on the way (in a few years ....)|
|How about a comment from a married guy?||PaulCL|
Jul 10, 2002 9:19 AM
|1. Older lady...I'd say within five years. Younger...maybe within ten years. OK, call me shallow
2. Race...yes. But I would have to consider the potential difficulties if the relationship got serious. Just being honest. As a white male, in my dating years, I dated women of asian descent and Slavic (a tall, blonde Swede -does that count???)
3. Shorter...I'm 6'1" Before I got married I occasionally dated shorter (5'1" ish) women. I felt more comfortable with taller women. My wife is 5'9". I never had occasion to date a woman taller than I.
I'm 40 years old and happily married. From looking around, I would guess that intra-racial dating is much more readily 'accepted' and common today than when I was in my 20's. That's a good thing.
From your question, I take it that you are thinking about dating a woman taller or shorter than you...go for it!
|re: as a follow up to empacher6's question||McAndrus|
Jul 10, 2002 11:01 AM
|Been married for 23 years but looking into my distant past:
- Dated older women. No big deal.
- Dated women of other races. No big deal.
- Dated one woman who was taller (I'm 5'11"). Kissing was kind of odd at first but we adjusted.
|re: as a follow up to empacher6's question||terry b|
Jul 10, 2002 1:01 PM
|1) am married to a woman who is 7 years older than I am. for me, it's made a lot of sense (her advanced state of personal evolution has been very good in helping me to achieve things I was unable to achieve in my previous loooong term relationship)
2) personally, no problem. If I was planning to have kids, I might reconsider because this can be a problem for them (yes, even in 2002) depending on the mix, where you live and of course - your respective families.
3) I'm 5'11, she's 5'11, when she's in heels - 6'1. Frankly, I think it's pretty cool having her taller than I am. Think Cruise was complaining about Kidman? Nope (at least not in the early days)
|I just realized that I should answer my own question||weiwentg|
Jul 11, 2002 2:31 AM
|older lady? sure, up to 5 years is fine. younger? sure, but. surprisingly, I prefer older ladies. I was born in December, so almost every girl in all my classes was older (until I got to university).
different race? fine with me.
someone taller? yes. but 10 inches taller (ie Allison) is PROBABLY out of the question unless there's real chemistry and she doesn't mind.