's Forum Archives - Non-Cycling Discussions

Archive Home >> Non-Cycling Discussions(1 2 3 4 )

Is there a lawyer in the house?(3 posts)

Is there a lawyer in the house?rideslikeagirl
Jun 3, 2002 1:05 PM
In reference to a will, what would "personal effects" include?

My Nana left her personal effects to me and everything else to my Papa. He has changed his will to leave everything to my mom - so she's kinda taken over the house.

My Nana's been gone almost five years, so I'm pretty late with putting my foot down.

Jun 3, 2002 7:39 PM
It usually is up to the executor/executrix (personal representative in some states) to decide basic things like that. That person is normally nominated in the will and then appointed by the court. If you dispute it with the executor, then take it up with the probate court.

I'd say "personal effects" are the items of personal property you keep around the house, like clothes, photographs, all that sort of stuff, unless specifically left to someone else in the will.

It might be too late. Once things are distributed by the court, it's done, and the claim period is normally not very long, like a year. If it's important to you, I'd seek the advice of a probate lawyer in your state.

Jun 4, 2002 7:42 AM
That woulda been me.

Thanks for the advice.

I would never take it to the legal battle grounds. Material things just aren't worth the angst.