's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Dealing with Food Poisoning (slight OT)(6 posts)

Dealing with Food Poisoning (slight OT)Sadlebred
Jan 27, 2004 10:09 AM
I cooked something Sunday night, which has made me violently ill. Luckily, the vomiting is over. I haven't been able eat any food except for toast in the last 24 hours. I am finally rehydrated (lots of juice). I'm still experiencing abdominal cramps and am pretty dizzy. I feel best when I'm lying flat on my back on the couch or in my bed.

Has anyone ever dealt with food poisoning? If so, how long did it take you to get over it? What helped with any cramping? How long before you could eat normally? I'm not planning on riding until I feel better, which will probably be several days.

I have a call into my doctor but am still waiting to hear back.

Any advice?
A few timesaOldMan
Jan 27, 2004 10:15 AM
The first time I ended up at the doctors office. The prescription, go home, rest and it will work itself out.

The second time I passed out while downhill skiing. The ski patrol took me to the clinic. Prescription: lie down do nothing and wait until I was better.

Third time...

You get the picture. They really never did anything for me. But I would still see a doctor.
re: Dealing with Food Poisoning (slight OT)Dave Hickey
Jan 27, 2004 10:25 AM
I spent a week in the hospital with salmonella(sp). I was dehydrated, bloody stools and had a 106 fever. Other than giving me an IV for dehydration, the doctor said it had to run it's course. I started feeling better after about the 4th day.
If it's salmonella, don't take anything to constipate you. It's important that you let the poisons leave your body.

Of course, I'm not a doctor so I suggest you talk to yours.
Salmonella is the worst...Gregory Taylor
Jan 27, 2004 10:57 AM
I had it as a teen. OOOOOOooooooooooooohhhhhhh... Mr. Hickey has it spot on. High fever. Going at both ends. There were times where it was a tough decision choosing which end I should point at the toilet. It was awful.

Adding insult to injury, I had to then report to the Va. Department of Health. I was running a public swimming pool and they wanted to make sure that I was clear of the virus. The nurse stated that she wanted me to collect a stool sample (!!), and I was issued a very small glass jar (one square inch opening), a plastic knife like you get with carry out food, and no instructions. I had to do this for a few weeks until they were happy that I was not contagious.

Hope that you feel better!
Yep, Health department contacted me also.Dave Hickey
Jan 27, 2004 11:06 AM
I was in the hospital for 2 days before they knew what was wrong with me. My most vivid memory was walking back to my hospital room after a smoke break(god, how times have changed in 23 years) and having a huge QUARENTEENED sign on the door. Everytime a nurse came into my room, they were covered from head to toe in protective gear.
re: Dealing with Food Poisoning (slight OT)drop-40
Jan 27, 2004 12:02 PM
See a doctor asp. I had sal. once and it was so bad on a 90+ day I drove home with the heater on full blast and was still not able to get warm enough. Nasty stuff that can put you in the hospital if not taking care of fast enough. I never went to the hospital but was oh so close. Took medication and a few days later I was back at work. My case was severe enough that the health department called me to report where I had eating at since it was figured it came from one of 2 fast food chains. I am very leary of eating chicken from fast food places now. My then girl friend (now wife) answered the phone and the health department would not comment on anything to her. To say the least she was very nervous that they found something out other than food posioning and would not tell her. That was not the case. They would only except talking to me directly so she was a very nervous girl for a day until I was home from work. Funny now to me though.

I have never handled food the same since that. Mine was terrible for me. It took I would say a week to get over mine when on medication to totally back to normal.

See a doctor now

Dropping Lbs.