RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Riders come under fire....(18 posts)

Riders come under fire....OwenMeany
Jan 22, 2004 5:42 AM
this is an email that came from the listserv for the La Grange Bike club here in LA...

> Date: Monday, January 19, 2004 3:03:32 PM
> Subject: Road Riding Announcement
>

> An unfortunate situation occurred this past Sat. involving two of our club
> members
> that I believe that everyone in our club should be made aware of
> so with their permission, I am sharing the details with you :
>
> A breakout group from the Red Ride was riding a loop through SimiValley
> on Madera Rd. and was "attacked" by a passing motorist who fired 4-5 shots
> from a pellet gun striking *** ****** & **** ****** in their hips.
>
> Unfortunately it happened so fast that they were not able to get the License
> plate
> of the vehicle - they were only able to ID the car as an older, small brown
> car.
> The police and medical EMS were called immediately.
> **** is OK - bleeding stopped & is sore only.
> *** was taken to the hospital and was there for 2 1/2 hrs.
> lost quite a bit of blood - had X-rays and got antibiotics
> Xray shows a large BB shaped object is still lodged inside him.
> They will apparently decide this week as to the wisdom of an operation
> to remove it.
> *** says he's OK : "bled a lot, but no great discomfort. It is sore"
> He has a two inch black & blue spot.
>
> You might remember that ****** from our club was shot in the left forearm
> with a BB
> back in August on Bradley Rd. on her return from one of her many bike riding
> excursions.
>
> Given these sad and unfortunate incidents, besides being justifyingly
> sympathetic to the victims,
> we should be vigilant of our surroundings and passing motorists so if we can
> ever identify
> these perpitrators, we can bring them to justice.
>
> It's hard to believe that these could just be "pranks". This is a whole
> different level.
> The police officers said that they are felony : "Aggravated Assault"
>
> Please join me in wishing ***, **** ( & ***** ) a speedy recovery.

MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE THE ABOVE MESS..OwenMeany
Jan 22, 2004 5:51 AM
I inadverntly left the riders name in without their permission. I don't seem to be able to "delete" this on my own. After I posted there were no longer "delete" or Edit" buttons...

I will make the changes and repost...Thanks, jb
MODERATOR PLEASE DELETE THE ABOVE MESS..Saddle_Sore
Jan 22, 2004 6:50 AM
Goddamn! I thought UK riders got given a hard time by motorists, but to the best of my knowledge no-one has started shooting at us :-|

There was a thread on here a while back about some US cyclists who rode whilst carrying a "piece" - apparently it gave them a sense of security.
You don't have the Gun "culture" we got here in the USAbimini
Jan 22, 2004 7:07 AM
It's our God given right to pack heat. Unfortunately, any wacko can go out and buy a gun. It is common to grow up with guns and a lot of boys are given firearms as soon as they hit their teens. Some parents give them the guns without proper training, or worse yet give them the guns and feed them own their own hate.

Statistically speaking, I would guess you have less risk of getting shot while riding a bike as going into a Quicky Mart to grab a snack.
Gun "culture" we got here in the USA - UK viewSaddle_Sore
Jan 22, 2004 8:12 AM
Only a matter of time before DiMarchi start bringing out the kevlar clothing range - all the protection the road cyclist needs for the mean streets of America.

Options include:

* carry pocket for blood expander pack in the event of someone successfully busting a cap in yo' ass;
* quick release holster for your own gun in case you wanna dole out some payback;
* bluetooth integrated phone with handlebar accessed speed dial to get you straight through to 911 (or your homies if you wanna chase the mutha down and ice him later);

This would be funny, but in a few years you'll probably see something like this actually being sold outside of survival shops :-|

Maybe my view of American traffic has been coloured by my visits to New York and San Fransisco?
Technically, these weren't "guns."MShaw
Jan 22, 2004 9:08 AM
If they were, teenagers wouldn't be able to buy them (legally). These were pellet/BB guns which are considered "toys" so aren't regulated.

Don't get me wrong, were I there AND in a position to do something, I would probably have had to yank someone out of their car and beat the snot out of them. I don't normally tend towards violence, but every once in a while someone does something so monumentally stupid that it sets me off.

F@#$ing idiots.

Hope everyone is OK.

Mike
The state of our culture is...6was9
Jan 22, 2004 11:49 AM
such that a certain bracket/section of US populations people are so far removed from 'the real' reality that these kids will come back and put a slug in your head for beating the snot out of them. They will think it's cool to be in prison with their uncles and cousins and your death will only amount to be a coming-of-age experience for one of these kids. They will proudly wear a 'tear' tattoo per a kill on their faces (even this tattoo has become popular and fashionable, fully being aware of its significance, as such that it's not all that unusual to see them now.) Absolutely insane... brainless freak show it has become. No one blinks an eye of hearing someone getting shot anymore. A cyclist getting shot to death wouldn't linger too long, I bet. I bet some people will think 'good, maybe this will keep'em off roads.' God forbid anything as such should happen to any of these politicians, or their family, who have their feet stuck deep in the gun industry/ nra sludge. Come on, automatic assault rifles?

Pardon me for 'shooting' off... :-)
The state of our culture is...Squint
Jan 22, 2004 12:51 PM
Automatic weapons have been banned since like 1930...that's why we have no gun violence in this country and why England and Australia experienced sharp drops in violent crime once they banned guns.

Pro-gun politicians deep in the pockets of the NRA such as Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein both have concealed carry permits in states where average citizens can't get them and entourages of armed body guards.

They should pass a law that makes it illegal to shoot air guns at cyclists then it will never happen again.

P.S. I'm being sarcastic.
Hopeless.6was9
Jan 22, 2004 2:43 PM
and you probably have no idea what bicycling boxing iscyclopathic
Jan 22, 2004 7:13 AM
hard to say what is better being hit by baseball bat or to be shot at with BB gun.
Bring back the Joust! nmSpunout
Jan 22, 2004 7:39 AM
Names have been deleted. nmLen J
Jan 22, 2004 8:13 AM
Thanks. nmOwenMeany
Jan 22, 2004 10:03 AM
.
Thanks for the heads upGuidosan
Jan 22, 2004 8:50 AM
Owen,
Thanks for the warning. I live out that way and ride through Simi and on Madera often. Hope the folks that got hit recover well and are able to ride again soon.
Do you know about what time this happened?
Thanks for the heads upOwenMeany
Jan 22, 2004 10:06 AM
Not for sure, but I suspect it was mid-day. I got the emial as sent to all club members and what is in the email is pretty much all I know...
So much for our rep as the "safest" city in the U.S....The Walrus
Jan 22, 2004 12:37 PM
...actually, I've been riding in Simi since I moved there 15 years ago and have never had any problems while on the bike, but I was recently on the receiving end of something (a soaked, rolled-up newspaper?) thrown from a pickup truck running without lights as I walked home from the train station one night. Guess any place will have its share of yahoos, not that that's a comfort.
Should I quit riding-I'm afraid I'll be KIA someday nmthegarzacomplex
Jan 22, 2004 1:19 PM
Note to everyone reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No_sprint
Jan 22, 2004 1:44 PM
This was not a LaGrange group or breakout ride. This message was sent to many clubs for information purposes. These were not LaGrange riders.