RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Recommendations wanted for Cheap Used TT bike(7 posts)

Recommendations wanted for Cheap Used TT bikebimini
Dec 8, 2003 6:29 AM
I ride daily and like to play beat the clock to keep the rides interesting. I find I do most of my training rides alone and spend most of my time on my cr@ppy bolt on aerobars and riding up and over my BB on the tip of my seat (the seat is full forward).

I do race and my current bike is fine for road races, crits and oval track sprints so the new bike would be just for training and Timetrials. I hope to drop 10-15 pounds this winter and the bike would be my reward for dropping the weight. I would like to hang in on the hill races next year.

I am after a strong solid bike that is aero and has a good TT geometry that gets my forward and over the BB and a low forward aero handlebar system. (no clamp on plumbing). I am 6'-0", have long legs 34"+ inseam. I am currently at 180 lb and hope to be down to 165 for next years season. I have seen Cannondale Multisports going for the cheap on ebay, how are these? The Felts look good also. I have seen some older GTs that look nice go for a low price also. I would prefer an older 8 speed system so that I buy a cheap freewheel carbon disk wheel on ebay for racing and put an 8 speed cluster on it.
Good decisionMarketing Dept
Dec 8, 2003 8:06 AM
Do you want to go 650c on the wheels? Do you have any parts that you can hang on a new frameset?

Try www.bikefarmer.com. They have some new Quintanna Roo frames going for $100.00. Then, you need to pick up a 650 fork (ebay) and some 650c wheels (ebay). Other than those specific parts, go to your parts bin and put together a cutting edge ride for $250-350.
re: Recommendations wanted for Cheap Used TT bikeasgelle
Dec 8, 2003 9:17 AM
You might want to be careful about what you get if you intend to race in USAC TT's. I just saw that USAC will adopt UCI reg's regarding equipment. If true, this will make many older TT bikes illegal for USAC races. Among the requirements would be equal size wheels front and back, and restrictions on tubing aspect ratio (most if not all GT's won't be legal). As for far over the BB, the new reg's would require 5 cm setback.
Let's Hope Notbimini
Dec 8, 2003 10:54 AM
The UCI rules are just plain stupid. The USAC at least allowed for technical innovations. The UCI strickly prohibit technological innovations of any type unless it is sanctioned by some as yet unknown Nordic God.

I can see the need for the USAC to unify with the UCI since the UCI controls the sport on a global basis but very few cyclist in the USA compete globally.

Where did you see that the USAC is adopting the UCI equipment regs? Is it on the USA Cycling web site?
OOPSasgelle
Dec 8, 2003 12:30 PM
Sorry, I just noticed the effective date - doesn't start until 1/2007

I saw it at cycling tech talk forum
http://www.cyclingforum.com/forums/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=896&mc=40

quoted below

Date: December 05, 2003 03:02 PM
Author: Charles Howe
Subject: Merry Christmas from USCF

Nestled in among the rules changes for the new racing year (see http://www.usacycling.org/rulebooks/2004_uscf_rulebook.pdf, p. 32) is this little gem:

"1J1(e) As of January 1st, 2007, all bicycles and equipment used in Federation races must comply with the current UCI regulations."
Whew, you gave me a scarebimini
Dec 8, 2003 1:00 PM
This will give me an excuse to buy a new bike in 2007. And who knows, the UCF may come loosen the rules by then.

It could happen! (maybe when there will be flying pigs by then also)
re: Recommendations wanted for Cheap Used TT bikerogue_CT1
Dec 8, 2003 1:44 PM
How about a new one for a good price? Check out the bikes at bikeparts.net. They sell bp Stealth frames that are pretty darn good for the money. My AC/Tri frame and deep aero carbon forks cost $527. The bike is solid and fast.