RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Scam Alert(2 posts)

Scam Alertjrm
Nov 5, 2003 8:59 AM
This is the same scam that RBR made me aware of when i listed my bike in the claasifieds. Who can i send this to to maybe capture this auto dealer" person?

messages read from the bottom up in chronlogical order

Thanks for the mail,i am ok with your price..
Inrespect of payment i have a client in the
U.S who is owing me $6,600.All i need to do to
make payment easier and faster is to instruct him to procure a cashiers
check and mail it to you on the name,address and
telephone number you want on the check and you
know it takes 24hrs for a cashiers check to clear in the U.S.But i
would want to know if i can trust you to send my
balance to me via MONEY GRAMS INTERNATIONAL MONEY
TRANSFER in the FRANCE, PARIS after the money must
have cleared in your bank to enable me prepay the
shipping company here so that they can instruct
their office in the U.S to come and pick IT from
your location.pls mail me asap to enable me arrange
payment
Mr David

xxxx mckenzie wrote: Its a complete bike not a frame. The price is one
thousand USD. Ill only except cash from you or a
representative from your organization.

--- auto dealer wrote:

> I am a New and used Auto, Parts and Accessories
> dealer . I am interested in your frame AD .I would
> want to know the firm price and mode of payment.In
> respect of shipping i have a reputable Shipping
> company with offices in the U.S that takes care of
> my shipping. Awaiting your urgent response
> David

Let it gojtolleson
Nov 5, 2003 9:29 AM
as frustrating as it may be. These general scams have been going on about a year now, foreign "buyers" hitting internet sellers with promises of hefty "cashier's checks" ... the checks even tend to clear, which causes the U.S. seller to release the goods and/or refund some of the "hefty" overpayment, until bank fraud detection runs it down 30 days later.

It really isn't new. It is a variation on the "Nigerian" check scam that we all got hit with in 2001-02.