's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

do you have the low down on dealing w/ins. claims 4 accident(10 posts)

do you have the low down on dealing w/ins. claims 4 accidentrockstar
Oct 29, 2003 9:08 AM
i was hit by a truck driving on the wrong side of the road and i think it's only fair this guy's insurance buy's me a new rig with new d/a! do you have any similar experience? how do you feel about this? thanks
Not nearly enough info....biknben
Oct 29, 2003 9:15 AM
You gotta give us more than that. Insurance varies by state so provide that too.

Take the bike to a LBS and get a written estimate of damages to present to the ins. co. Anything with a scratch goes on the estimate.
Not nearly enough info....rockstar
Oct 29, 2003 9:29 AM
i was turnig in to my neighborhood where the entrance is divided by a median at 20ish. this truck is zooming up the road on the wrong side and i'm locking up my brakes as he just gradually slows down...we hit and he wins.i know how lucky i am as not to be seriously injured,but hey i'm real pissed! and my bike was d/a and ultegra equipped king headset,ec90bars,fightdeck,polar710,custom wheels king hubs,zero pedals...but,i think he should pay for the error of his ways...pun intended! oh yeah custom c-dale frame totaled
Not nearly enough info....lyleseven
Oct 29, 2003 9:37 AM
Make sure you are not injured. Oftentimes it takes a few days to see if symptoms disappear. Go to a doctor to document any injury at all. Believe me, any personal injury claim will overshadow the cost of repairing the bike and you are entitled if he was at fault and you were not. Even if you were both at fault, you are still entitled.
Is this thread a troll? (nm)ColnagoFE
Oct 29, 2003 10:48 AM
my experienceMPH74
Oct 29, 2003 10:19 AM
i too was in an accident. car made a left turn and didn't see me coming toward it on the other side. i called the ins. company 15 times over the course of 2 months but they never return my calls... in frustration and despite not wanting to contribute to the litigiousness of this society, i hired an attorney. my medical costs were only $2000 and my property damage was $3500 (my bike and accessories). he was able to recover the property damage with 2 weeks from the ins. co. so point being, an attorney can help even with the smallest of cases.... this all happened in austin, tx.
my experiencerockstar
Oct 29, 2003 11:23 AM
thanks for your insight...i too will hire an attorney especially since the po-po wrote the accident report in favor of the MOTORIST who was driving on the wrong side of the road!did the ins. try to do any depreciation of your rig or any other tactics of evading your claims? thanks
btw what's a troll in relation to...rockstar
Oct 29, 2003 11:48 AM
Police report says you're to blame???russw19
Oct 29, 2003 2:03 PM
And you want to up the value of your claim to a new full Dura-Ace 10 speed bike? Good luck, that's called insurance fraud, and if the police report was in favor of the motorist, I would count your blessings that you weren't hurt and leave it at that. As soon as the motorist finds out you are filling a claim against his insurance company, he is likely to come at you with a counter-suit for the damages you inflicted on his car.

From the info you have given this board, you are SOL. But I would take it to an attorney and when you are there, try to explain things better and more clearly to him.

Good luck,

Assuming this is legit..........Len J
Oct 29, 2003 2:34 PM
I'll give you a straight answer.

If you were not at fault, you are not entitled to a new bike. If you had been in a brand new car that you just rode off the lot and it was totaled due to someone else's negligence, you would not get sticker price for the car, you would get the depreciated value. The same thing is true of your bike. You will get replacement value for a used bike. You can negotiate, but you are not entitled to a new bike to replace a used bike.

If you have a police report that documents that the other guy is wrong, contact his insurance co & start the ball rolling. If you don't like what you hear, you can get an attorney, just remember that an attorney will take 1/3 rd of the settlement.