's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Down Tube to STI(9 posts)

Down Tube to STIsievers11
Aug 14, 2003 5:57 AM
I am converting a down tube shifting steel bike to the new world of STI shifting. I am wondering what that part is called that coverts those post to the barrel adjuster cable guides. Is it a "Down Tube Barrel Adjuster Cable Guide Converter"? Anyone seen them online?
find them at this link.wspokes
Aug 14, 2003 6:30 AM

You can find them here. Most places carry them. These are actually an Ok price from Riv. Enjoy.
they are called cable stops (nm)abicirider
Aug 14, 2003 6:32 AM
Aug 14, 2003 6:35 AM
I don't know what they're called, but any LBS will (should) have them in stock. I just converted my Miyata over to STI's a couple of months ago. I think I paid 20.00 for the little Hoonies you're looking for. Make sure you buy new cable and housing because your cables will be too short. Also, don't tape your bars right away, as you'll want to play around with the positioning a bit. You will love the STI's. It's nice to keep your hands on the bars, especially if you're riding in traffic alot as I do.
Peace, Scooter
You STI-ed a Miyata?? SACRILEGE! nmOldEdScott
Aug 14, 2003 7:01 AM
Aug 14, 2003 7:28 AM
Hi Ed,
I really only did it for saftey, honest. They've been in-breeding here in Utah since 1847 and nowhere is it more apparent than on the streets of Salty City. My daily commute is 40 miles, almost all in traffic, and the more time I keep my hands on the bars the better.
You'll be happy to know that when I buy my friends Serrotta at the end of racing season, that will probably be my everyday ride, and I'll put the downtubes back on the Miyata in the interest of honor and tradition :)
I'm guilty too!Softrider
Aug 14, 2003 8:09 AM
I STI'ed my Miyata touring bike, I didn't know it was a sin.
re: Down Tube to STIwinstonc
Aug 14, 2003 6:44 AM
I'm not sure what exactly they're called, but my Ultegra shifters came with a pair in the box. If you're wondering if you have to buy a pair separately, I think the answer is no.
...and definitely DO NOT pay $20 for them!MShaw
Aug 14, 2003 1:13 PM
...most LBSs have tons of them laying around! Heck, I've even got several pair in my garage if worst comes to worse. Before everyone emails me, no, I'm not going to give them away.

I like the Campy style with barrel adjusters on both sides better than the Shimano style with the little lever on the right side.