RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General
thanks, guys. things i've learend from RBR in the last week:(9 posts)
|thanks, guys. things i've learend from RBR in the last week:||JS Haiku Shop|
Aug 7, 2003 7:29 AM
|dino is still there, just lurking. yes, many posts are like a revolving door. that doesn't mean we enjoy your posts less dino, or miss them any less during the hailstorm of tour-time noise.
where to get cheap tubes. $1.70 from jensonusa.com, if bought in bulk, comes out to just under $19 per person, shipped. you've just supplied the entire J crew with tubes for the next few months.
everybody is getting ripped by their LBS for "impulse" items. knowing is half the battle. it's ok if you know it and buy anyway, for a reason. no recoil on this one, please.
running sucks and is painful. lifting weights is just damned stupid. whey protein and orange juice tastes like an orange creamsickle, and seems to make things a bit less tender the next day. smoothies with milk, frozen fruit, and whey tends to go quite nicely, too. my achilles' heel is ice cream; mixed frozen fruit in a blender with a bit of lowfat milk is a much less destructive, and surprisingly satisfying option.
well-respected moderator Douglas T. Sloan's middle name is "Tiberius", as in "James Tiberius Kirk". he's destined for greatness.
no matter how much reasoning and begging, some of us intelligent and highly educated peoples are still gonna feed the trolls.
rwbradley's swings left, which is more than i ever wanted to know.
there is really no limit to the number of times Lance Armstrong "Hurts So Good" article or link can be posted in a 2-week period. also no cap on people asking for advice on buying a new bike immediately after an american wins the tour de france again, and i never cease to be amazed at the different ways people post the word "newbie".
that damned 6-months who are you post just won't die. 37380 views since 18 march 2002.
and, non-RBR related:
my opinion is reinforced--every time i post a new group of auctions on ebay--that people will buy anything, and that people on the whole are good and honorable. there are some stinkers, though.
no haiku this week.
|Things I've learned this week...||kjr39|
Aug 7, 2003 7:44 AM
|For spending as much time I do on these boards, I am still missing alot of the posts. Either that or I have a short memory.
There are really only about 5 topics on this board (What bike to buy, does this bike fit, look at the pics I took, I'm fast and you're not, & what clipless should I buy) :P
|You put yourself in the "intelligent and highly educated" pool??||biknben|
Aug 7, 2003 7:44 AM
|That's stretching it a bit, don't you think?
Dipped in love...as always!!! :-)
You really let the TDF newbies get to you?
regarding Doug, picture this: Capt. Kirk screaming "Kahn!!!!" into his communicator. Now substitute Doug screaming "Spankdoggie!!!!" Very funny image.
|It is mighty cold in...space...spankdoggie! nm||pitt83|
Aug 7, 2003 9:58 AM
|I've learned once a troll allways a troll (nm)||PEDDLEFOOT|
Aug 7, 2003 7:44 AM
|Good summary..........||Len J|
Aug 7, 2003 7:55 AM
|maybe we ought to restart the "It's been six months...." post (since it's been 17 Months). I've thought about it, but never got to it, it would be nice to see who is still around.
Things I've learned.....
- The core group of quality posters is still here, fighting to stay on the high ground.
- There are still good people (an example to us all) who always respond gently to an honest query from a newbie.
- Trolls come and go (and come and go), but those of quality have no fear of time.
- J has gotten mucho sarcastic in his old age (maybe has something to do with to much pressure from the Brooks and too much winter riding....)
- Dino may be the most consistant human I've ever experienced.
- I miss Grzy posts.
- MB1 can stop riding and not end up on a clocktower with a high powered rifle (although it may be because the cast prevents him from climbing the steps).
- No matter what a moderator does, some will love it & some will hate it. (Thanks Doug).
|things i've learend from RBR in the last week:||funknuggets|
Aug 7, 2003 8:00 AM
|-That there are some mythical super genetic freaks hiding out riding stupid fast 3 mile TTs.
-That there are far more skeptics than believers
-That giving someone bike fit advice might get you listed as a sexual predator
-That no matter what, a bike pic with a scantily clad chick will get lots and lots of views
-That Ron needs to go on some type of medication. This bipolar disorder needs to be checked.
|things i've learned from RBR in the last week:||tarwheel|
Aug 7, 2003 8:51 AM
|1. trolls never die, they just change their names ... again, and again, and again |
2. never, ever feed a troll
3. for some reason, #2 is awfully hard for people to remember
4. apparently some RBR posters should be racing professionally based on their ITT times
5. lance better watch out for troyboy or whatever he's calling himself now
6. some people actually get offended if their posts don't get "enough" hits
7. some cyclists actually buy $50 tires from their local bike shops
things I learned from actually riding in the past week:
1. this summer, it's gonna find a way to rain just about every day
2. get used to riding in some rain or find a new sport
3. climbing big mountains at your own pace is "easier" than trying to keep up with the climbers on shorter hills
4. I actually enjoy climbing, at my own pace
5. recovery is more important than riding hard
6. it really is the humidity, not the heat, that makes summer so tough in the south
7. i can actually outclimb skinny little dudes on 17-lb aluminum/ ti bikes on my 22-lb steel Merckx under certain conditions
|doug thinks we are morons if post certain pics...i||marcoxxx|
Aug 7, 2003 9:15 AM
|am sorry i started it with the semi-xxx pic...but i agree with doug