RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Clear Channel Comes Clean!(14 posts)

Clear Channel Comes Clean!rollo tommassi
Jul 14, 2003 7:00 AM
At 12:42 PM 07/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Due to a flood of e-mails, phone calls and letters, Clear Channel
>Communications and WMJI-Majic 105 in Cleveland have agreed to help correct
>the wrongs that their broadcasts caused last week.
>
>Negotiations are underway and Clear Channel has agreed to a number of
>items revolving around:
>
>- Running Public Service Announcements on all six of their stations in the
>northern Ohio market.
>
>- Donating a substantial amount of money toward local bicycling causes.
>
>- Helping with programs and events such as Safe Routes to School and
>public safety education.
>
>- Supporting and promoting the America Bikes agenda with national and
>local politicians.
>
>- Public apologies from those DJs who offended all of us with their
>anti-bicycling comments.
>
>AS OF TODAY, FRIDAY JULY 18th, WE CAN STOP E-MAILING COMPLAINTS ABOUT
>THEIR REPREHENSIBLE BROADCASTS.
>
>Station management and the DJs understand that what they said was
>wrong. They are in the process of making things right, but for them to
>focus on turning things around we need to free up their computers.
>
>Thank you for your quick response. It's great to see freedom of speech
>used in a positive way.
>
>Please forward this to anyone that you may have sent the original Call to
>Action to so that the word gets out. If you are the administrator of a
>webpage or see the original Call to Action still posted on a webpage,
>please post this update as soon as possible.
>
>Lois Cowan
>Century Cycles
Lets hope they follow throughKristin
Jul 14, 2003 7:12 AM
Sounds like a positive response. Somehow I doubt the DJ's "know what they did was wrong." Or at least I doubt that they care. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank god for lawyers! :-p I guarantee it was the Clear Channel lawyers who turned this around. Bummer, because I was scheduling a cycling vacation to Cleveland. Can you imagine the settlement? j/k--of course...about the lawyers too. ;-)
Picture, if you will, the Clear Channel defense ...Humma Hah
Jul 14, 2003 7:28 AM
So, imagine some idiot cuts off a bike and his passenger swings open the door to kill a cyclist. Both hire Johnny Cochran, who develops the Clear Channel defense, in which they claim they thought their actions were legal because they were told so by the radio.

Yeah, Clear Channel's lawyers had BETTER move on this ... because you wanna talk about deep pockets come lawsuit time!
Are you makin' fun of me?Kristin
Jul 14, 2003 7:54 AM
Still, don't they share some civil obligation if they egg people on? You don't think they could be named in a suit and lose if some law abiding rider gets hurt because some nut job got worked up after listening to the program? Maybe I'm wrong.
Not making fun ... you've got it exactly ...Humma Hah
Jul 14, 2003 8:39 AM
Some low-life does the deed, but hasn't got the $10M that the wrongful death suit would probably merit. But Clear Channel does.

I'm not normally very inclined to pass out large jury awards. I detest folks who sue McDonalds for hot coffee spills or making them fat. But Clear Channel would not want me on that jury ... they're clearly a party to the crime if it ever happens and one of their listeners is involved. Maybe they wouldn't do the time, but they sure as heck would pay for it!
McDonald's Coffee Suit = Bad ExampleSpoiledBikeDaddy
Jul 14, 2003 9:06 AM
In that case, the restaurant in question had been warned twice to lower the temperature of their coffee. The spilled coffee MELTED THROUGH the woman's pants and burned into her leg. She required skin grafts to repair the damage. I'd have sued too...

I believe the obesity case was laughed out of court, and rightly so.
Sally Jesse Raphael caserollo tommassi
Jul 14, 2003 10:27 AM
not a really good example, I know, but you never know which was a civil suit will go when it comes to third party culpability....
Cleveland??????????ClydeTri
Jul 14, 2003 7:57 AM
A cycling vacation to Cleveland???? I dont even know to ask why.....Cleveland? :~)
I thought that perhaps a moron wouldKristin
Jul 14, 2003 8:08 AM
sponsor the purchase of my first custom frame.
Cleveland is a great cycling town...yummy
Jul 14, 2003 8:45 AM
I used to live in Cleveland...Many excellent places to ride, especially on the East side like Chagrin Falls and the surrounding towns due to the expansive valley system. Please don't knock it 'till you ride it.

Have fun.
as long as they didn't also sponsor your custom titanium hip. nmrufus
Jul 14, 2003 8:47 AM
WMJI Program Director's reply to my emailJFR
Jul 14, 2003 1:36 PM
I find his reply below to be somewhat dismissive.

John...

Thank you for your e-mail message regarding recent Lanigan & Malone
broadcasts on WMJI.

The Lanigan & Malone show has a strong following of listeners that enjoy
our tongue-in-cheek approach to humor. Recently, some of our callers
and on-air personalities discussed cyclists and road rules. During a
lively discussion, comments were made which we felt were humorous in
nature, and we think most of our regular listeners understood these
comments in context. However, in retrospect, let us be perfectly clear.
We do not advocate any harm to cyclists. It was not and is not our
intent to provoke violence towards cyclists. In fact WMJI supports
cycling events through sponsorships and promotions.

Many responses we have received appear to be from people who did not
hear the program and who received an inaccurate account of what was said
and the context of the show. We choose not to rebut any
misrepresentations. Instead, we simply extend our apologies if you were
offended.

Again, we truly regret offending anyone who misunderstood our satirical
exchange with callers. Our intent is to offer a public forum for the
cares and concerns of our listeners and to entertain through humor.
Please feel free to write or phone me in the event I can be of service.

Best regards,

Dave Popovich
Program Director
WMJI/Majic 105.7
216-520-2600
Ask him for a taped transcript of the show--see if he dodges. nmKristin
Jul 14, 2003 1:47 PM
yeah, I got the same yarnrollo tommassi
Jul 14, 2003 4:48 PM
sounds pretty weasely to me!
I was going to tell him that it's not that I was offended, but that someone could get INJURED, and that is far worse. My original email to him and the FCC described the transcript at hate speech.