RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Re. past discussion of shock jocks and violence(14 posts)

Re. past discussion of shock jocks and violencerollo tommassi
Jul 8, 2003 9:45 AM
I recall a post last week or so regarding Cleveland Metroparks, but this ties in with the other Texas shock jocks advocating people to run us over. I was forwarded this email yesterday:

At 09:20 AM 07/07/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
> the brakes.
>
> - yell and/or honk at all cyclists as you pass in your car.
>
> - throw things like cans or rolls of pennies out your window at cyclists.
>
>Apparently, there was a caller who said that what they were telling people
>to do was wrong. The caller tried to explain that bicycles are allowed on
>the roads and are vehicles just like cars. From what I understand, the
>DJs made fun of the caller and didn't take her comments seriously.
>
>I contacted one of the DJs, Jimmy Malone, about the content of the
>program. He said that he would try to get "the other side of the story"
>on Thursday's show and I agreed to be interviewed.
>
>My interview started with me explaining that bicycles are allowed on the
>roadways and why some cyclists don't use the multi-purpose trails in the
>Metroparks. During the "interview", I was repeatedly and relentlessly
>called a buffoon, idiot, clueless, pms-sufferer, couldn't take a joke,
>didn't understand satire and stupid.
>
>For the remaining three hours of their "show", they took calls from
>listeners and further encouraged drivers to do whatever it takes to get
>cyclists off the roads. Callers who agreed with their viewpoints were
>awarded a gift certificate to a local restaurant.
>
>They aired loads of people who called in to say that they agreed that
>bicyclists are basically moving targets. I heard of only one person that
>said they felt that their "jokes" were wrong. I was left wonderring if
>they were just putting the ignorant people on the air or (as they said)
>did no cyclists call in with their opinion?
>
>On Monday, July 7, they were again making comments about bicycles being on
>the roadways. The biggest offender, Chip Kullik, again said he pulls over
>and opens his doors into cyclists.
>

>We need every single person who rides a bike to call or e-mail the Federal
>Communications Commission, the station, Clear Channel Communications and
>the Cleveland Metroparks to say that the program during these two mornings
>is wrong. It is DEAD wrong if someone is killed because the radio station
>spent over four hours "joking" about swerving into cyclists, throwing
>things at riders, honking, yelling, or passing and then slamming on your
>brakes.
>

>Please take a few moments to call, write or e-mail any or all of the
>following:
>
>Federal Communications Commission
>Enforcement Bureau
>445 12th St SW
>Washington, DC 20554
>phone 202-418-7450
>fax 202-418-2810
>complaints-enf@fcc.gov
>
>go to www.wmji.com to e-mail the Program Manager
>
>Dave Popovich and/or Jim Meltzer
>WMJI
>6200 Oak Tree Blvd
>Independence, OH 44131-6933
>DavePopovich@clearchannel.com
>JimMeltzer@clearchannel.com
>
>Clear Channel Communications, head offices, San Antonio, Director of

e mail this link.....african
Jul 8, 2003 10:09 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/08/Southpinellas/Driver_in_bike_crash_.shtml
What's really ironic...Dave Hickey
Jul 8, 2003 10:33 AM
I was born and raised in Cleveland and was back visiting family last week. I haven't been back in 10 years and what's ironic is I was very impressed by the new bike lanes though out the area. Even my home town of Mentor, OH now posts signs at the border that say "Bicycle Friendly City". I guess painted lines and signs don't make a friendly city......

I send my emails to Clear Channel. Thanks for the information.
I wrote a dandy to them last week...t0adman
Jul 8, 2003 10:47 AM
The guys are clowns and their audience isn't much better. I sent them a respectful but firm email suggesting they stop encouraging the reckless endangerment of people's lives.

Did you know, or happen to mention, any of the legal ramifications of attacking a bicycle on the road? That might have been good on-air content.
It's obvious to me that:Len J
Jul 8, 2003 11:09 AM
1.) This is all about publicity for the radio station.
2.) They saw this person coming back on as an opportunity to get more milage out of the story. I think that they should have been prepared for this (knowing these type of "Shock Jocks", it's like going on Jerry Springer & being surprised when you get made out to be the fool.
3.) It is a real opportunity to get the real story out, but not on that show for sure. There must be another local avenue (NPR maybe) where a more balanced approach to the discussions could be presented.
4.) There is no excuse for these kind of actions if taken by a driver, however, let's be real, we have all listened to "Shock Jocks" and heard them say things that none of us would ever do and yet we've chuckled. The more attention these guys get, the more they will focus on this issue, it's all about publicity. they are like trolls, the best thing to do is ignore them.
5.) Does anyone really think that a shock jock could talk someone into really doing one of these things?

Much ado about nothing IMO.

Len
It's obvious to me that:Len J
Jul 8, 2003 11:10 AM
[...]

Flame away, I know this is an emotional issue for us.
Exactly rightpitt83
Jul 8, 2003 11:28 AM
If no one pays attention, they go away. Look at OJ. No one gives a damn what he says or soes. They'll fade away quickly if ignored. Clear channel getting responses tells clear channel they are effective in reaching an audience. If word of mouth (or this board) increases the response, they interpret it as larger audience share. Clear channel cares not what we think, they care about market share. That's why these idiots have the job they do.

Choose another station or, to promote an alternate viewpoint, tell another station to air a pro-cycling viewpoint. Perhaps sponsor a race or century to show they hold the moral high-ground?

My $0.02; just ignore the noise and prosecute the hell out of anyone who actually does what these a-holes suggest.
It's obvious to me that:Spoiler
Jul 8, 2003 12:24 PM
5.) Does anyone really think that a shock jock could talk someone into really doing one of these things?

Yes I think that there are plenty of teenage boys who just got their license or their first car, listen to the show, and do stupid things suggested by total strangers.
I agree that it's about publicity. The DJ's don't want to truly offend and turn off their audience. They figure laughing about hitting cyclists won't offend their audience. That's probably true. Commuters are the ones that listen to them. When you're frusterated about being stuck in traffic, while punks on bikes weave in and out of cars, the idea of dooring them becomes funny.
By framing the issue in a BoysClub/humor light, dooring cyclists or running them off the road seems like just a prank, like tossing a water balloon or slapping a "Kick Me" sign in a buddies back.
When listeners do act out on the comments of the DJ, I certainly don't think that the DJ's should be held accountable. The listener is solely responsible. It's up to society to mock and humiliate the driver and his actions.
Ride with confidence in Cleveland! F Lanigan.gala7516
Jul 8, 2003 11:45 AM
These idiots were on again this morning talking to a cycling advocate. They started out asking benign questions about bicycles and public transportation. The conversation quickly changed to how bicycles slow traffic. The purpose of the debate seemed to be to create hostility between motorists and cyclists.
Someone mentioned that this is probably publicity stunt. They are probably right. I never listen to this show. Today I learned why. It is horrible.
Ride with confidence in Cleveland!
GO STEELERS!!!pitt83
Jul 8, 2003 11:48 AM
There, I got you. You're all worked up now and want to lash back. This is how they do it.
F U too!!!gala7516
Jul 8, 2003 1:37 PM
Just kidding...be safe out there!

Go Browns!
BTW...gala7516
Jul 8, 2003 1:48 PM
I got your point! Thanks.
It's funny how...Fender
Jul 8, 2003 3:19 PM
they say cyclists slow traffic, yet people who commute to work on bikes are usually the ones with the shortest commute times. Also, if bikes slow down traffic, why is it that bike messengers are the fastest way of getting parcials delierved in car congested city streets. Last time I checked rush hour traffic, the only vehicles that where actually moving where bicycles. Everything else was at a standstill, not because of bikes, but because of too many cars.

If I only lived in Cleveland, I would gladly show thos DJ's a thing or two about cycling!
Who wrote that email?gala7516
Jul 8, 2003 11:46 AM