's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Valve extender question(10 posts)

Valve extender questionfiltersweep
Jun 29, 2003 11:33 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but I have a deep rim that requires an extender. I had always ASSUMED that the presta valve that threads into the tube would thread into the extender, and that the extender would thread into the tube.

Rather it appears that the extender treads OVER the presta valve and that the valve simply needs to be unscrewed completely (within the extender sleeve).

Yes, I know to use thread tape... but am I doing this right? This means there is no actual presta valve extending beyond the extender (that can be accessed)... it works fine this way, but it isn't quite what I was expecting...
re: Valve extender questiondivve
Jun 29, 2003 12:41 PM
I think there are a few different types. However, the ones you're talking about is the most common I think. They're basically long pipes that thread onto the part where the valve cap normally is screwed on and the presta is left open so you can pump the tire up at all times. The ones included with a wheelset of mine don't have caps and are rather clunky brass things. I don't really like this setup and simply use inner tubes with long valves.
re: Valve extender questionAkirasho
Jun 29, 2003 1:14 PM
... true, most extenders are simple affairs that thread over the open presta valve... some tubes, however, have removable valve cores that can be moved to the end of special extenders... still some extenders have built in valves on their ends...

If possible, buy tubes with long stems... as part of the KISS doctrine.

Be the bike.
You're doing it right...The Walrus
Jun 29, 2003 1:28 PM
I have one wheelset I had to do that with (Shimano R535); it seems counterintuitive, what with the valve permanently "open", but those are the tires that hold air better than any others I have.
I don't like themLC
Jun 29, 2003 2:00 PM
They are a hassle and they can leak. Use a long stem valve tube, they are usually not any more expensive than a regular tube.
long valve only if clinchers, tubies need extenders. nmclimbo
Jun 29, 2003 2:06 PM
Thanks all ! - nmfiltersweep
Jun 29, 2003 3:29 PM
re: Valve questionAl1943
Jun 29, 2003 6:06 PM
My LBS stocks tubes with 55, 60, and even 80mm long presta valve stems. I also buy 60mm stem tubes from Performance and have had excellent service from them.
Make sure you know what you are doing......CARBON110
Jun 29, 2003 7:59 PM
As fasr as I know only Vredistein makes 80mm prestas and they are $$ and hard to find. 60mm is good and will fit any wheel except that super deep 90mm HED. Before leaving the house make sure YOU can pump up your clincher deep rims with your frame pump. Hopefully you will have learned by now frame pumps put minis to shame. Anyway, I use extenders on both tubies and clinchers and I dont like using tape. I found some cheap but reliable prestas that are ONE piece and dont unscrew like conties or salsa's do at the top. They work great but are not super light. who wants super light tubes anyway...actually I have had good luck with super lights but in this case who cares
Suggestion for those with removeable valve cores...biknben
Jun 30, 2003 5:53 AM
For clinchers, I'd suggest just using long stem valves. They could cost you twice as much though.

I have a pair of deep section tubies that require extentions. I've used the simple pipe extenders that other have mentioned already. I could get them to work but they were a pain sometimes. When threading them on, they could close the valve or they just leaked when you tried to pump them up.

I found a pair of Vittoria valve entenders that are much better. They only work for tubes with removeable valve cores. ou remove the core, thread in the extender, then thread the core back into the extender. They have bushings to prevent leaking. Once these are on you can't tell the difference. Far better and reliable than the generic pipe extenders.