's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?(12 posts)

foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?jimmyihatetoregister
Jun 10, 2003 7:11 AM
Left foot, on the bottom, basically the ball of the foot under the last two toes, where they connect to the foot (What is that called?). After about 1 hour of riding it starts getting numb there & then eventually gets sore. Stops if I get off & walk. Last season it happened from time to time on the MTB or road bike. It started sunday on a 2.5 hr mtb ride w/ my wife. I use sidi shoes, 2 pairs, road & MTB. THX
re: foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?BrianNYC
Jun 10, 2003 7:15 AM
Get a good insert. I have Sidi's road shoes, and replacing the OEM paper thin insert with a better padded one has greatly increased foot comfort and made riding much more enjoyable.
I use hard plastic orthotics slide my cleats all the way backdzrider
Jun 10, 2003 7:34 AM
Look pedals with large platforms and no float and Egg-Beaters with small platforms and plenty of float used to cause hot spots much like you describe. Thanks to Lon Haldeman for suggesting the cure because it sure has worked for me.
re: foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?utxjohne
Jun 10, 2003 7:56 AM
They are called neuromas. I have them it hurts. I just ride with the pain.
re: foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?ortman
Jun 10, 2003 8:47 AM
My guess it might be one of two things:
1. shoes too narrow.
2. Morton's neuroma (a nerve that runs between the toe bones is getting pinched).

1. wider shoes.
2. try putting a small felt pad (called a metatarsal pad, I think Dr. Scholl's makes them) under the metatarsal heads of your foot. The pad should be just slightly back from the met heads (the "ball" of the foot). If no relief I'd go see your doc or podiatrist. Good luck.

Oregon sports physical therapist
maybe the Morton's neuroma??jimmyihatetoregister
Jun 10, 2003 9:32 AM
My feet are pretty narrow, so I put an extra insole in my MTB Sidis to fill up the space. I don't have the extra insole in my road shoes. I got the pain this w/e in the MTB shoes...Myabe the extra insole should come out.

I have had this pain in same spot on same foot is some very tight ski boots that I don't wear too often.

I wear orthotics in all my other shoes but not in the cycling shoes--my arches have always felt fine in the cycling shoes. Should I use the orthotics in the cycling shoes?
Worth a try, don't you think.dzrider
Jun 10, 2003 9:59 AM
I was told they help distribute downward pressure across the whole foot. That may or may not be true, but on day 1 of a 4 day, 450 mile ride both feet were painful close to where you described. I put my cleats back and took my orthotics out of the running shoes I was carrying in my paniers and started riding with them. The pain lessened each of the next 3 days. Of course, YMMV, but if you have them, try them.
maybe the Morton's neuroma??ortman
Jun 12, 2003 8:34 PM
It's sounding more like you have too much stuff in the shoe rather than a neuroma. That of course is a good thing. I'd try taking out the extra insole first. If that doesn't work, take out all insoles and try inserting your orthotics. If they're not too thick themselves it may work. Orthotics for walking/running are different though from cycling orthotics. Orthotics made for cycling have a rigid support area that extends to under the met heads ("ball" of foot) since this is the area that contacts the pedal and must be controlled and/or altered. In walking or running this area of your foot flexes to allow you to walk normally. If this doesn't work I'd go see your local podiatrist or sports PT. Good luck.
Pain under the ball of foot, eh?Fredrico
Jun 10, 2003 9:39 AM
Where the last two toes connect to the foot? Left foot only?

Before you see a doctor about some long-term foot disability, check your cleats. The pedal spindle could be too far forward, so that when you press down on the pedal, the toes take up too much of the pressure. The ball of the foot should be directly over the pedal spindle. If this pain takes an hour to come on, all the more reason to theorize it's a fit problem, not a physiological defect.

Do the cleat positions match on both shoes, not only fore-aft, but also rotational in or out?
Pain under the ball of foot, eh?jimmyihatetoregister
Jun 10, 2003 11:24 AM
I think I do need to check the cleat position. So, maybe I need to get the spindle back a little bit.
Pain under the ball of foot, eh?Fredrico
Jun 11, 2003 10:05 AM
Sure alot cheaper than a doctor who'll jump at the opportunity to cut you open.

Find the best pro bike shop and get Fit-Kit or equivilant saddle height, set-back and tilt adjustments, and then cleat adjustments. With Look style cleats, it's impossible to do it yourself on the bike, because you'd throw off the positioning when you clicked out.

Another symptom of spindle too far forward might be stressed arches. The ligaments on the bottom of the foot would get stretched if pedaling with the toes.
re: foot pain from riding--diagnosis anyone?koala
Jun 10, 2003 11:52 AM
Go to a foot doctor. I waited until it got to the stage I needed surgery with the same symptoms. If everything checks out get a script for an orthotic and change shoes if necessary. Surgery can ruin bike time.