RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


most of my h2o bottles look like a chemistry lab experiment(25 posts)

most of my h2o bottles look like a chemistry lab experimentJS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 10:18 AM
i've been lazy and left my bottles in the shop after rides. now all my bottles are dirty. naturally, all (most) guys live by the rule, "if all your underwear are dirty, wear them inside out". i can't turn my bottles inside out, alas.

if microscopic plants are growing colonies in most of my bottles, what's the best way to clean them? i've used bleach on questionable camelbak bladders in the past, and never have hurled after drinking bad water.

of course i know the best way is "new bottles", so i'm asking for the next best way.

-J (trying to avoid a nasty parasitic infection)
Bottle Brush/DishwasherMisJG
Jun 9, 2003 10:29 AM
Use a bottle brush with dish soap to clean out the goop and then run them through the dishwasher. You can soak the tops in bleach or vinegar to get into the mouthpiece parts you can't reach. Run them through the dishwasher too. If you have kids, you probably have a nipple basket (keep it clean!). Put your tops in there to keep them from flying around in the dishwasher. Voila! Just like new!
you can't say 'nipple basket' on a moderated forum (nm)JS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:11 AM
Soak in Clorox diluted with water overnight &.......Len J
Jun 9, 2003 10:31 AM
then rinse out with vinegar & water. Put in Dishwasher for one cycle & then use as normal.

Len
thanks Len! nmJS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:12 AM
Boiling water & bleach. Rinse. Then boiling water & baking sodaKristin
Jun 9, 2003 10:32 AM
Let soak for 12 hours. The bleach will kill all the little critters, but it will never kill the taste/odor. The baking soda will do that.

But really J. Your neighborhood Performance Bike sells them for $1.82 each. That's less than a Happy Meal!
Oh, and don't...Kristin
Jun 9, 2003 10:41 AM
Don't put water in the bottle, then try to heat it up in the microwave. Unless, of course, you enjoy scraping melted plastic out of your microwave, and really wanted a good excuse to replace that bottle! ;-)
Sounds like the voice of experiencePaulCL
Jun 9, 2003 11:01 AM
Also...our water bottles, just like the water bottles you drink at work, are never to be heated. They are a type of plastic that will leach chemicals into the water after heating to a boil. Heck, I get enough chemicals from my three pack a day habit ...just kidding.

Vinegar rinse, followed by a run through the DW. Clean.
uh ohJS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:10 AM
well i'm on the road to mutation.

before the 600k brevet i poured boiling water in my zefal magnums, screwed on the caps, shook 'em up, and squirted 'em empty.

should i check for a third eye?
Oh, I didn't knooooow that...Kristin
Jun 9, 2003 11:15 AM
I put boiling watter in my bottles all the time. What does that do to you? (Oh, and you don't think your dishwasher reaches the boiling point? Mine is programed to reach 114F in the dry cycle.)
Wait! That can't be true.Kristin
Jun 9, 2003 11:17 AM
No way the plastics industry can put out containers used to hold food and water, which can release deadly toxins into that food and water under common circumstances, and not be required to add a warning. Are you sure about your sources?
Don't be naive...one word..."Pthalates"...nmbicyclerepairman
Jun 9, 2003 11:46 AM
I did a quick google on PthalatesKristin
Jun 9, 2003 12:51 PM
Now I remember why I don't watch television. A quick review of the parties involved in the debate and the topic itself, and its fair to say that we can't be sure one way or the other about the danger of plastics. It is prudent to be skeptical. Everyone waging this war has interests on the extreme fringes. I will reserve judgement until a nuetral source speaks up--if there are any left who have the time and money to investigate these claims honestly.

Here are three articles I found interesting. I should mention that I don't trust Steve Milloy or his JunkScience as a source in and of itself. He's a lobbiest which makes him either extemely biased or entirely certifiable. But he's posted some articles that were worth reading.

Here is the link to the Consumer Review Alert which came out at the same time 20/20 ran the program which I'm sure is influencing most of this hype:
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=19243&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=18151&bmUID=1055190177510

Here is a well written rebuttle to the consumer alert, written by another CR writer.
http://www.junkscience.com/apr99/katzen.htm

I do want to mention that I disagree with Katzen's comment about how dangerous glass baby bottles are. He states that if we go back to glass that lots of maiming will occur. Thats poor logic. The industry only started producing plastic baby bottles in the late 70's. Before that it was all glass and babies weren't being sliced and diced in high numbers back then.

And a report written by the Washington Times and published on JunkScience:
http://www.junkscience.com/consumer/oct99/consumer_fum0516.htm

Again, I'm not giving prudence to JunkScience; but enough valid questions have been raised against the 20/20 and consumer alert reports to cast a shadow of doubt. I do not wish to blindly buy into hype, lest I be dubbed, "sucker."
Don't be stupid - phthalates aren't in polyethyleneKerry
Jun 9, 2003 5:41 PM
And PE is what bottles are made of. There is essentially nothing in a normal water bottle that will leach out into the water - the taste comes from mold release agents in new bottles (wash once before using) and from growth in the water in old ones.
Yes it can bePaulCL
Jun 9, 2003 12:21 PM
We eat Sacharine all the time...but in large doses it will make you grow a third arm.

The particular type of plastic used in not meant to be re-heated. It won't kill you...but it might give your water a foul taste. Will it fill your body with toxins enough to make you sick?? I don't know but I doubt it. There are a million and one different types of plastics for different uses. Our "evian" or "polar" water bottles are single use containers.

I'm currently looking for the article I read on this. I'm not sure which news (cnn,msnbc, abc, etc..) had an article on this a few weeks ago. If I find it, I will post it.
sentimental valueJS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:10 AM
can't get rid of some of these babies for reasons of sentiment. then again, $1.82 is nothin' to sneeze on!

thanks.
Dishwasher...then bleach...biknben
Jun 9, 2003 10:32 AM
I rinse my bottles after a ride. After a couple uses I throw them in the dishwasher.

I use bleach on my Camelback when I notice things growing in it. I haven't seen anything withstand bleach yet.

I assume the bleach would work in your bottles. Liberal rinsing is required. :-)

I store them without lids which helps them to dry out completely. I put paper towels in my Camelback between uses.
thanks! re: camelbak storage,...JS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:13 AM
my bladders (yuck! don't take this out of context, eh?) are stored in the freezer between rides.

-J
re: most of my h2o bottles look like a chemistry lab experimentHBPat
Jun 9, 2003 10:47 AM
Throw out all those bottles and buy some SIGG water bottles. They're alloy and leave no bad taste no matter how long you leave them sitting in a damp corner. Just rinse them out and they're like new. They are a little pricey but they're nice.
re: most of my h2o bottles look like a chemistry lab experimentFender
Jun 9, 2003 11:10 AM
and you can also throw then at drivers who cut you off when riding!!! much more damage than a plastic bottle!! ;)
I don't use "sport's drinks" so my bottles stay clean.MR_GRUMPY
Jun 9, 2003 11:04 AM
Old water can't hurt you.
thanks. J=sports drink in bottles, h2o in c'bak (nm)JS Haiku Shop
Jun 9, 2003 11:13 AM
re: most of my h2o bottles look like a chemistry lab experimentdlbopfla
Jun 9, 2003 11:33 AM
Hot water and Polident left over night. The next day rinse and they are as good as new.
That's why I only use water in my bottles4bykn
Jun 9, 2003 11:45 AM
I had some scary looking bottles in the past, and decided(given my penchant for uncleanliness) that maybe water is the way to go. Now it's water in the bottles and GU in the jersey pockets.
Best way to avoid this problem!!!!!the bull
Jun 9, 2003 3:19 PM
After every ride throw them in the freezer.
You dont even have to rinse them out!