RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


Doug: late reply on Ammonia(2 posts)

Doug: late reply on Ammoniacoonass
May 9, 2003 2:25 PM
"Consuming Too Much Protein During Exercise."
During endurance exercise, approximately 8-15% of the calories required should come from protein, with the remaining 85% from complex carbohydrates. Many Meal Replacement Drinks (MRPs) that are used as endurance fuels during exercise contain too much protein with very little carbohydrates. The human body, while able to handle 20-30 grams of protein in one intake, cannot tolerate that on an hourly basis. Too much protein fills the blood with too many amino acids. These excess amino acids are converted into carbon dioxide, water, and ammonia. This ammonia is toxic to the body and is a primary cause of premature fatigue. While the body is equipped to handle excess ammonia by converting it to urea then filtering it through the kidneys, too much puts a burden on the kidneys.
(Pasted from:
http://www.ultracycling.com/nutrition/fueling_for_endurance.html )
thanksDougSloan
May 9, 2003 2:29 PM
Guess I'll have to lay off the Quarter Pounders before riding.

Doug