RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


Atkins eating and energy?(9 posts)

Atkins eating and energy?twin
Apr 28, 2003 3:28 AM
I need to know when you use this approach to eat What gives you energy? I need more energy?
Nothing!the bull
Apr 28, 2003 3:34 AM
This is a silly diet as it cuts out carbs.
Ask anyone you get energy to do things from carbs.
Right?Bread pasta rice etc.Your not going to fuction
properly while stuffing your face with nothing but beacon
and eggs or hamburgers without the bun then a steak dinner.
Bull's right, Atkins' is for people who want ...bent_spoke
Apr 28, 2003 3:47 AM
a quick fix! You end up burning fat, which provides the energy boost that people experience. In general, I don't think it's very save as it's not very balanced & if you excercise you'll be running on empty. For a 2 week period, you can loose the 10 lbs (but don't bother with it during the season though). I did it with my wife & after 4-5 days I started to go nuts,'cause there's nothing in the frig to eat that you haven't eaten for the last 4-5 days. Eat, ride & be happy (avoid Atkins thing!).
re: Atkins eating and energy?pina
Apr 28, 2003 5:13 AM
The Atkins diet is for people who want to lose weight without exercise. If one continues on that diet they will have no energy stores for any endurance type of effort. In addition, it is not good to overload your kidneys like that (they have to filter a lot more fat). Is better to eat fruit, and carb's and exercise rather than follow that diet.
I tried it.Spoke Wrench
Apr 28, 2003 6:21 AM
I lost weight over the winter. When spring came, I bonked every time I tried to ride my bicycle so I gave it up.
New AMA study sez...ColnagoFE
Apr 28, 2003 8:00 AM
People lose weight on Atkins because of calorie reduction. Not anything magic about Ketosis. The only benefit as I see it is when you eat fat instead of carbs you may feel "full" for longer which will untimately allow you to eat less.
Ok for a quick off-season fix but not good for ridingMaartin
Apr 28, 2003 7:00 AM
Other people have come to the same conclusion. It does get weight of fast so it is OK for a winter off-season quick weight reduction. You need carbs however when riding. If not you will feel and ride lousy. Basically if you just eat less of everything and try to eat nutrient rich food and exercise.
carbs (nm)ColnagoFE
Apr 28, 2003 7:57 AM
Atkins is for FAT folks.....t-moore
Apr 28, 2003 9:53 AM
I have lost 45lbs on the diet. Sad to say, last August I had gotten up to 285lbs. I'm still losing weight. I started riding Oct 1 and now have over 2700mi on my bike odometer.

I feel great when I ride, and like superman when I ride after loading up on carbs. It's the bad habits that I used to have, along with not working out that is the problem with people like myself. I don'think most of the people on this board are overweight.

If you are already one of the Big Dogs, and in great shape. The Atkins diet Is Not For You. You lucky devil, metabolism so high you loose weight in your sleep. Damn right you are going to Bonk. Hell, you are already to great shape, what more do you want. "LOL" But that's another question. The Atkins diet is for folks like me, and sad to say there are more folks like me than the fit rider who is worrying about the Bonk, and losing that last 5lbs.

Let's get Real, in college I weighed between 185 and 205. At 6'4" I'm still looking to loose another 20 to 30lbs. The Atkins diet lets me Eat. That is something I have great expertise at.

90% of my cycling bud's are in great shape. Atkins is for the other 10% and the rest of us fat folks. By the way, have you guys seen the obesity problem we have hear in the states.

Now let me hear what you got to say to THAT.....