's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Wisdom Teeth Removal--off the bike(10 posts)

Wisdom Teeth Removal--off the bikeSadlebred
Apr 9, 2003 7:01 PM
I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday and have been off the bike since. I was totally knocked out. How long did it take you guys to get back on the bike? Thankfully, I decided to forgo a race this weekend and instead signed up for a century with about 10,000 feet of climbing. I have a feeling I will be doing the 50 mile option.

How long did it take the swelling to go down? Any advice? I've been relegated to eating ice cream, soup, and yogurt. Thank goodness for pain drugs! They make me dizzy, but the pain is bearable. I've been icing my face at least 20 minutes every hour. I had to get a haircut today and was embarassed to go out in public! I have a few more days off of work. The swelling is so bad that I can barely talk and can barely eat (can't get a spoon in my mouth)! I am going to venture to the LBS tomorrow to get a new computer put on my road bike and have some work done to the mtb.
re: Wisdom Teeth Removal--off the bikeMD80
Apr 9, 2003 8:38 PM
I was given a local when I took mine out (all four). I assume swelling varies from person to person. I hardly swelled at all. Got on my trainer for two hours on the same day. Thank god for pain medicine. Bleeding part sucked. By third day I got tired of the pudding and soup diet so ate some hamburgers using my front teeth. You'll survive.
Right back on itchar
Apr 9, 2003 9:30 PM
In my late 30s I had all 4 yanked (deferred maintenance as it were), rode the bike to the oral surgeon's office, took a cab home (you had to have a ride out of the office before they would operate.)

OK, so a mouthfull of bloody cotton later was stir crazy ( you have to rest) was up and down the stairs doing laundry (bike clothes) took the next day off and then went back to work via bike. Saved the drugs for when I would really hurt!!

Oh yeah, I was really hurting leading up to this. Splintered off the tooth, hadn't been to a dentist in 18 years, got a recommendation, he gave me a referral to the oral surgeon and then it was a 2 month wait, these were all bike riding doctors. There were alternatives available by non-cycling doctors but I decided to go with the recommends. I was chompin every clove i could get ahold of til' then.

Funnyist part about it was I didn't want to leave the chair after he had visegripped the 4 teeth out o here. Nooo, I like it here, why do you want me to leave, what wasthatyousaid. I'm notleaving.

"Sir, your Taxi is here, you have to leave now"

"I like it right here, I don't want to go anywhere."

I suppose I wasn't a good role model in the waiting/exit room.

Oh.Yeah. Had to cut a check before we do business. Nothing like pain to induce cooperation between patient and doctor.

It really was a good experience all in all.

re: Wisdom Teeth Removal--off the bikekatie1
Apr 10, 2003 4:37 AM
Hang in there and take it easy. The swelling will go down with NSAIDS (Advil, Motrin, Naproxen, etc). The pain pills have a combination of hydrocodone or oxycodone with acetaminophen (Tylenol). They help the pain, but do nothing for swelling.

Like stated in the other posts, everyone responds differently. I had all four removed. It took them 4 hours to get them out. I had some swelling for the first day or two but was back to normal after that. I don't recall the pain being very bad either; however, I developed a dry socket later which sucked!

Be thankful, it is wet and cold in Atlanta so you aren't missing ANYTHING on the road.
Worst medical experience of my lifems
Apr 10, 2003 5:29 AM
I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 20 (1979 -- spring break, junior year of college). The surgery was on Monday morning. I was in so much pain and so swollen after the surgery that I did not eat any solids or leave the house until Friday. It took at least a week before I could eat normal food. Then, I developed a "dry socket" where one of the teeth had been and had pain, etc. for another week or so (and several visits to the doctor/dentist). My father recovered from open heart surgery faster than I did from having my wisdom teeth removed. My advice: take it easy, follow all of the instructions that you have been given about the care of the incisions, and if you keep having pain, go back to the oral surgeon or your dentist asap.
The good, the bad and the uglyCharlie Amerique
Apr 10, 2003 7:40 AM
Had mine out when I was 31 and they had to cut them out of the jaw. Had two doctors (did the left side and 2 weeks later the right) and the first was a hack. I was in constant pain for 2 weeks and was very shy about a return visit.
Second doctor was great! But still feeling the effects of the first one, I lied and told him that it was "numb already" when I had just started to feel the pain dying down.
I don't know for sure if it was the better surgeon or the lack of additional medication but my right side was better long before my left side (and no, I'm not right handed either).

Back on ythe bike for light rides about 10 days after the right side was done (I got a little light headed and cut the ride short). I was all better 2 weeks after the right side was done (left side STILL hurt).

Good luck, and I feel your pain.

Hopefully the fun is not just beginning ...pmf1
Apr 10, 2003 10:16 AM
I got a reaction from the shot they gave me in the arm to knock me out. All the veins in my arm turned rock hard and my arm got sore as hell. I had to go back to the doctor and get medication for this as well.

Oh, and I had a dry socket form a week later. That was real fun as well.
Dry socketskatie1
Apr 10, 2003 10:36 AM
I find it amusing that so many folks had dry sockets. The guy who pulled my teeth out told me not to worry about them unless I smoked. Obviously, I don't. When I returned with one, he harrassed me for lying about smoking. Yeah, dude instead of intervals I puff away. I find it makes racing more challenging to be gasping for air.
I raced 72 hours later.jtlmd
Apr 10, 2003 3:44 PM
10 years ago I was in my mid-20's. I used ice constantly for the first day or so and had minimal swelling. I felt good and raced my mountain bike 72 hours later without problem. I needed the pain medicine for the first couple of days. I think that many people don't use ice liberally enough in the first 2 days to keep the swelling down. In reality, everybody has a different experience so you have to judge your recovery for yourself.
I raced 72 hours later.Sadlebred
Apr 10, 2003 6:54 PM
I'm sad to stay that I still feel like crap. I guess the only consolation is that it's been 40 degrees and raining out the last few days, so I haven't been missing any good riding. My face is still VERY swollen to the point that it is TOO swollen. I'm having problems breathing at times. I called the oral surgeon and am going to go in tomorrow for a check up. One, possibly two, of the left side stitches have come out.

I'm still not able to eat anything, and I'm starting to get depressed about the entire situation.

Sadle...who HATES feeling like !*!*!**!*!*!