RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Legit Seller on RBR Classifieds???(7 posts)

Legit Seller on RBR Classifieds???Ride-Fly
Mar 31, 2003 7:11 PM
I was just browsing and saw a guy by the name of Kevin Isaac selling Cannondales for an incredibly low price. He claims that they are all brand new. Examples are the Team Saeco R6000 (?) for $2000 (reg. at least $4500), Jeckyll 1000 for $1250 (reg. 2000??), Gemini 900 for $1100 (reg. ???) and R3000 Triple for $1300 (reg.???). They seem to be way too cheap, even for wholesale prices. Could they be legit?? BTW, I emailed him about the Team Replica and here is what he wrote back.

Dear Sir,

At this moment i'm not in LA.
I'm in Europe.
If you want to deal then plese send me a message as soon as you can.

Kindly regards and have a nice day.

BE VERY CAREFUL......LIKELY SCAM!davet
Mar 31, 2003 7:41 PM
There has been quite a bit of this from some of the East Euro countries and Spain. They offer bikes at ridiculous prices, ask for the money via Western Union Money Transfer or sometimes by credit card, and then DON'T deliver. You are out the bucks and have no recourse. As proof, ask if it has a Shimano 10 speed or 11 speed cogset. Chances are he will offer you either one. Red flag!

Don't be greedy. They depend on your greed. If it's too good to be true, it's too good to be true. Trust your instincts!
re: Legit Seller on RBR Classifieds???geeker
Mar 31, 2003 8:28 PM
Yes, it's probably a fraud. There have been a lot of overseas fraud attempts. Also from the buy side: overseas buyers pay with rubber checks or bad credit cards. Be very careful!
generalisation?Iwannapodiumgirl
Mar 31, 2003 10:02 PM
"overseas buyers pay with rubber checks or bad credit cards. Be very careful!"

perhaps you would like to insert a "some" and "may" in your sentence, such that it reads

"SOME overseas buyers MAY pay with rubber checks...."

Not all foreigners are evil...
truegeeker
Apr 1, 2003 1:01 AM
Sorry. I thought "some" was understood. But if you get an order from Indonesia or Nigeria, the odds might be against you...
I think there is something posted in the good trader/badtrader.the bull
Apr 1, 2003 4:01 AM
On this guy! check it out!I would stay away from anything too good to be true!
I e-mailed him a couple times...biknben
Apr 1, 2003 5:22 AM
I yanked his chain a little last week. I went back and forth with him a few times via e-mail. Everything seemed nice enough until I asked for alternate payment methods and pictures. He required western union payment and wouldn't offer any photos.

Not All overseas offers are scams but you had better be cautious. I'm not buying anything from overseas unless it's an on-line retailer.

If the deals are so good, he shouldn't need to branch out overseas to get rid of them.