RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Trek 5900 ebay scam again, having some fun(14 posts)

Trek 5900 ebay scam again, having some funtxcross
Mar 27, 2003 6:29 PM
The guy is at it again, he had Lance's bike up for about one day. Now he has this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3601251558&category=7298

This is definetly a SCAM here are our emails. Decided to have some fun with him.

dear sir,
i have the size 53cm good for you, for the moment i am not in Canada i am in europe
with problem at the company(i sell bikes in all the europe)

the are this Campy Biopace crankset

mail me if you are agree with that

I wrote:
I need size 53. Also, I see you are in Canada. I am wondering if this
bike has the Campy Biopace crankset. This is not offered in the US and I
am very interested if it has this crankset.

> dear sir,
> i have all the size but ,please tell me what size it is good for you the
> bike is brand new(never used befor)
> the last price is 1300USD
> mail me if you are agree with that
> I wrote:
> You do not list the frame size, what
> size is the frame?
> --------------------
These guys are bizarre,Spunout
Mar 28, 2003 4:29 AM
search new bikes in Canada, this unit has about 20 listings, all badly put together scams.

I have reported them all to EBay, and I continually contact the high bidders when I can (the seller has his own shill bidders).

It is illegal to sell multiple items/catalogue listings in an auction, for example, a bike but choose your size. Also, the seller claims to be from Canada but always responds from Europe, some Spanish importer...which is also illegal under E-Bay rules.

So, when I have a few moments, I turn a couple in. I haven't made a new userid so that I can stink bid auctions, I wonder how well that would work? Would E-Bay kick me off?
Stink bid...biknben
Mar 28, 2003 4:57 AM
I too am interested about what E-bay would do to a stink bidder. If the auction is a scam anyway, you are kinda doing Ebay a favor.

I saw a high bid on a scam that was placed by user "Seller's a Fraud". I thought it was hilarious.
Stink bid...Spunout
Mar 28, 2003 5:21 AM
I received an e-mail from a high bidder (forget his handle) that said yes, he is a stinkbidder. He bid a million bucks on it, but only will proxy to the next increment. That should draw out the shill bids!
Stink bid...Crankist
Mar 28, 2003 6:15 AM
Well, what are we waiting for? I'm good for about $950,000 in honest imagination cash.
Does a scam seller give scam feedback?Spunout
Mar 28, 2003 6:18 AM
What about our hard-earned feedback? If E-Bay lets these sellers on, then it is possible for them to fuddle up our good feedback.

Is is possible to moderate (omit) feedback if the auction is later proven to be a fraud?
Start a new account just for stinkbidding.DERICK
Mar 28, 2003 7:28 AM
That's what I was thinking....biknben
Mar 28, 2003 8:18 AM
Can E-bay take action against my "legit" user name if I set up a new one for stink bidding?
Start a new account just for stinkbidding.biknben
Mar 28, 2003 8:33 AM
I just set up an account with the user name "auction_is-a-scam"

You think that is obvious enough? I have to wait till I get home to confirm the e-mail address (it's a junk account).
Try it out, report back.Spunout
Mar 28, 2003 8:40 AM
If we had another, then we could buddy up on a scam and bid it up to $50,000.

Did you use the same e-mail address as your real EBay ID? I thought that I'd use a new one, from somewhere else.
Campy biopace crank? That crack me up.elviento
Mar 28, 2003 9:36 AM
Let's bid in $1 million and stick this SOB with a 20 grand ebay feel bill.

Don't know if their creditcards are stolen though.
I used a different one...biknben
Mar 28, 2003 10:54 AM
I have an secondary e-mail account just for junk. I use it when required for online logins and stuff like that. This keeps my primary account from getting pounded with spam and other junk.

I created the new ebay user account with that junk mail address. I have to wait to get home and confirm the account before I can place a bid on the scam.
Stinkbidsjaybird
Mar 28, 2003 11:19 AM
Can't you get caught with your pants down making stink bids? If I were a seller, even if I was a shady one, and someone bid 20k for a bike, I think I might be able to get one and therefore be able to deliver on the auction...

If someone bid 1mil for a campy biopace crank, I bet I could get one even if I had to fly my happy ass to Italy to have mr Capagnolo machine one himself for me.

What am I missing here?
A non-bid for a non-auction. Scam vs Spam. Which is worse?nmSpunout
Mar 28, 2003 11:40 AM