's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

What is a "Clincher"?(13 posts)

What is a "Clincher"?shamelessgearwhore
Mar 27, 2003 10:15 AM
I see this a bunch in regards to rims and wheels. What does is mean?
it's my nickname over 50 mph on 700x23s. nmJS Haiku Shop
Mar 27, 2003 10:19 AM
NOT a tubular. (nm)Alexx
Mar 27, 2003 10:28 AM
Mar 27, 2003 10:35 AM
don't know why it's so hard for people to just tell you..._rt_
Mar 27, 2003 11:42 AM
a clincher is a regular tire with which you use an innertube. probably what you are running on your wheels right now.

tubulars are glued on and have no inner tube. one of the advantages of tubulars is that you can inflate them to a higher psi than you can a clincher.

don't know why it's so hard for people to just tell you...NewDayNewWay
Mar 27, 2003 12:36 PM
Clipless pedals, are really pedals you clip (or maybe click) into. Tubular tires do not have inner-tubes. I see a trend here. Shouldn't the be called non-tubular tires?

Sorry, just a stress-filled day at work.

What happens if the glue loosens up on a ride? Can you fix this on the road? Are tubulars mostly for racing?
glue loosening up...Fredrico
Mar 27, 2003 2:19 PM
Racers are the only ones who have the budget to still use tubulars tires. The glue won't loosen up on a ride, unless there are alot of steep descents with tight switchbacks. Racers have wiped out coming down mountains by having to brake alot. The rims get really hot and melt the glue. Then the tire rolls off the rim in a tight turn. That's another advantage of clinchers.

"Clipless" pedals didn't need a toe-clip and strap to hold the foot on the pedal. We used to refer to our traditional pedals as "clickless," because the new ones made so much noise clicking in and out at traffic lights.
... actually...Akirasho
Mar 27, 2003 1:52 PM
... tubular tires DO have an inner tube... it's sewn inside the tire casing... there are however, tubeless clincher MTB tires that rely on an airtight seal 'tween bead and rim to hold the gas in...

Be the bike.
re: What is a "Clincher"?Fredrico
Mar 27, 2003 12:30 PM
A tire with two beads, like a car tire, that "clinches" the rim when the inner tube is fully inflated. At one time, tubular tires, sewn up around the inner tube and glued onto a rim, weighed less, could be pumped up really rock hard, rode faster, were pretty comfortable and handled corners really well. But they are labor intensive to repair and maintain, and expensive.

Now, clincher tires, inner tubes and rims are as light as their tubular counterparts, less expensive, alot easier to work with, and ride just about as well.
Thanks, I knew it must be something fairly brainless!shamelessgearwhore
Mar 27, 2003 1:00 PM
when you are far from home and need to go badly,,,,,african
Mar 27, 2003 1:26 PM
You clinch, hence a clincher!!!!!!
when you are far from home and need to go badly,,,,,Fredrico
Mar 27, 2003 2:26 PM
and can't find a deserted side road or big tree to get behind, and the nearest fast food stop is another half hour up the road, and the PSI in your bladder is about to blow its valve.

Same principle.
re: What is a "Clincher"?mapei boy
Mar 27, 2003 2:40 PM
Did you watch the Academy Awards? Did you see Adrien Brody and Halle Berry?