|Top Ten Most Fun Things for Kids To Do When Helping Wrench On Bikes||js5280|
Jan 22, 2003 11:09 AM
|In order to promote cycling world harmony, I thought some cross-cultural exchange from the Mountain Bike board would be appropriate. Credit for this list goes to MTBR.com poster- Dijridoo
Top Ten Most Fun Things for Kids To Do When Helping Wrench On Bikes
10. Squeeze brake levers, especially disc levers when the wheel is removed.
9. Yank on exposed cables.
8. Climb under the bike when it's in the workstand and jam head against large chainring, followed by crying. Soothe, comfort, repeat 5 minutes later.
7. Explore as many places as possible to put the end of the 5mm wrench. Including their mouths.
6. Open presta valves and let the air out, all the while giggling at the cold feeling and bad smell.
5. Touch disc rotors with greasy fingers. A lot.
4. Turn the cranks forward as fast as possible, then stick fingers in spokes, causing parental heart failure.
3. Turn the cranks backwards as fast as possible.
2. Spin the wheels and hold something on the knobs to make a cool sound.
And the number one thing. . .
Grab the freshly greased chain immediately after being told not to. With both hands. Followed by a big hug.
|and to add...||noveread|
Jan 22, 2003 11:50 AM
|last night this one occured,
Had a road bike in the stand, 2yr old son playing with a wrench around base, decided he'd had enough, stood up and walked right into the rear wheel with the rim catching him smack on the forehead. Nice little lump that incident left.
|Wait a minute...I do all those things :-) (nm)||Frith|
Jan 22, 2003 12:03 PM
|Face paint with Lithium grease (nm)||PEDDLEFOOT|
Jan 22, 2003 12:08 PM
|I guess I've been lucky so far...||biknben|
Jan 22, 2003 12:27 PM
|The worst mine has done is tip over a leaning bike onto herself. Pinned her legs to the floor and scared the crap out of her. She often walks into the bikes when they are hanging.
At first she loved to spin the cranks. Now that she can reach, she enjoys squeezing the brakes and watching the calipers move. Other than that, she likes to play with the floor pump.
The other night she wedged the pump head into the spokes of her bike and pretended to pump her own tires. Damn cute!!!
Jan 22, 2003 4:27 PM
|When I had the shop, we'd get a couple of kids each year who would get their finger caught between the chain and chainring on a BMX bike. A couple of times I had to unbolt the rear wheel to get their finger out.|| |