|I'm looking at ASSOS clothing.....what can ya tell me?||James|
Jan 7, 2003 10:09 PM
|I'm looking for mostly the vest, but is their clothing really worth price? Has anyone used the vest or any of their clothing? Does it work as good as they say? Any advise would be great. Thanks.......|
|re: I'm looking at ASSOS clothing.....what can ya tell me?||morency|
Jan 8, 2003 2:32 AM
|- Wind- and rainjacket PROS clima micro: good in rain, good windprotection but poor in heavy wind (fit is a bit too wide)
- PROS vest gator: superb in cold temperatures (-15°C no problem), a bit wider than the airblock vest, possible to wear it above a roubaix sweater
- PROS gilet airblock: good windprotection, but retains transpiration at lower abdomen
- Roubaix sweater: very good from 10°C on, but design is a bit old (classic), good windprotection in neckarea
- Pros intermediate jersey: superb from 15°C on; modern design, superb fit, but no good windprotection in neckarea when colder than 15°C
- PROS airblock vest: super superb (-5°C no problem), great narrow fit
- Collant roubaix: good, but not very different to other roubaix collants that are much cheaper
- Pros airblock Collant : super superb (-5°C no problem), good windprotection on knees
- Pros thermax collant: superb in very cold temperatures (-15°C no problem), but very expensive
- Pros commander: superb rain protection, great fit but very expensive
- Bi-tread short: only suited for riding while seated strait, back of the Bi-tread chamois has good padding, the front sucks
- Body aero crono: superb fit but bi-tread chamois is not very comfortable (see bi-tread short)
- Pros campionissimo classic short: great chamois but no flat seams, second best in their line
- Pros campionissimo EVO ACDX short: great chamois, front has flat seams, but only suited for people with short upperbody, is not flexible enough due to other material for the front straps and on long rides you will get pain in your back
- FI.13 short: super superb, flat seams, greatest stretchable chamois, enormous stretchable lycra. The best of the best!
- Jersey uni: great fit, superb
- Jersey superlight: suited for rides in hot weather (+25°C)
- arm- and legwarmers have great fit, their kneewarmers suck (they do not stay on place (a bit too short))
- I did not yet try their underwear, it is a bit too wide for my liking. I always use Craft.
|I have had good experiences||ms|
Jan 8, 2003 11:29 AM
|I have had very positive experiences with Assos clothing. However, my experiences are due in large part to the fact that Assos' Large size, both in shorts and jerseys, fits me better than any other brand that I have tried (I am 5'11" and 162 pounds). Before you spend too much on any brand, make sure that it fits you well -- each brand has its sizing and cut quirks.
All of the Assos clothing that I have (2 short sleeve jerseys, Roubaix jersey, Airblock jacket, 2 pairs of Campionissimo shorts, Isotex gloves) has performed well and been durable (machine washing on gentle, line dry). The only complaint that I have is that the Clima Micro jacket that I received for Christmas is shorter in back than I would like.
|m2¢: Excellent; 5-star !!!||coonass|
Jan 8, 2003 4:47 PM
|Better buy/order NOW!!!! The ASSOS shippment to the USA is very limited in quantity and is a once-a-year situation.
Their 2002 arrived in early December and the next shipment will probably be Dec. 2003.....check out www.branfordbike.com , World Cycling Productions or Chicagoland.
Oh, and "Yes", their quality & performance is unsurpassed
|It's way too expensive IMO.||grzy|
Jan 9, 2003 11:31 AM
|Especially when you go down or the washing machine decides to eat it. |
If you look around you can get quality stuff at well below retail - even Pearl Izumi has discount outlets and some good deals. The markup in bike clothing is absurd - don't be a fool.
|It's way too expensive IMO.||pmf1|
Jan 9, 2003 12:08 PM
|Its the same price as all other cycling clothing in Europe. Nothing special. Someone got exclusive distributorship for the U.S. and is ripping people off.
Kind of that "its expensive so it must be good" phenomenum. I guess some people will buy into it.