RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


Water bottles making me sick?(15 posts)

Water bottles making me sick?Trux
Nov 27, 2002 10:49 AM
For the second time I'm taking a heavy dose of antibiotics to rid myself of H-Pylori, the stomach bug that can cause ulcers. Anybody know if my water bottles are re-infecting me? How often and how do you clean your water bottles?
At least weekly.brider
Nov 27, 2002 10:59 AM
Especially if you're using anything besdies water. Just soak them in bleach water the first ime, then after that you can run them through the dishwasher.
I just rinse them outbigrider
Nov 27, 2002 11:00 AM
I rinse mine when I get home from a ride and leave them open with the lids off. Even if they are growing mold because I forgot I just wash them out with detergent. If you are worried use small amounts of bleach in water to clean them out or vinegar and water. This will kill the culture growing in the bottom.
re: Water bottles making me sick?mja
Nov 27, 2002 11:41 AM
Have enough bottles to be able to drop them in dishwasher after each use. It's so easy!
Mine always flip over in the dishwater so thatKristin
Nov 27, 2002 11:53 AM
by the end of the wash cycle, they are full of dirty dish water. When mine begin to get funky, I fill them with .25 cup baking soda and boiling water.**

Note: Do NOT fill water bottles with water and place in microwave, they will either explode or melt.
re: Water bottles making me sick?pmf1
Nov 27, 2002 12:00 PM
I rinse them out after every ride. When I feel more industrious, I add a little bleach, fill them up and let them sit for a couple of hours with the lids on. I rinse out the top of the lids with bleach as well. I do this more Sounds like you need to do this.
just rinse and store in the freezer...nmclimbo
Nov 27, 2002 12:01 PM
nm
Cool some good advise here, but,tronracer
Nov 27, 2002 12:11 PM
be careful with a lone lid. I've had them melt onto the bottom of the dishwasher before. Best to place them in the utensil rack where they can't migrate to the heat rods.
Check with your doctor to see what to sterilize withKristin
Nov 27, 2002 12:45 PM
Lots of recommendations for bleach here. But I don't think that bleach kills all types of bacteria. Though it is safe to use--as bleach can't kill you.
I use bleach to disinfect my bottles..works well!(nm)Bill J Pappas
Nov 27, 2002 3:00 PM
I use Clorox Bleach and water - Safe Food Handling StandardGeoCyclist
Nov 27, 2002 4:55 PM
Clorox bleach is recommended by most Health Service food handling guidlines for disinfecting. Just rinse your bottles, or Camelbak bladder, with a mixture of water and bleach. Word of caution, a little bleach goes a long way. Rinse with clean water to remove the bleach. DO NOT leave bleach water in your bottles or Camelbak bladder, unless you don't care what colour they are. I know this will discoloured a Camelbak bladder if you leaving a bleach water combination in the blader overnight. I can only assume this will also happen with coloured water bottles.

Ride on!
...try foodservice grade iodine sanitizer too, works cold. NMSpunout
Nov 28, 2002 4:59 AM
re: Water bottles making me sick?johnrg
Nov 27, 2002 9:22 PM
Wash them daily after use. I use revenge and the fungus can grow fast. Wash them and use a brush around the cap. If you have really bad mold boil some water and throw the top in, pour some of the water in the bottle etc.... It's not rocket science it's not even bio 101 it's basic hygene.
fill with water + few drops bleach, let stand cap nose downbenja15
Nov 28, 2002 12:19 PM
I rinse after every ride...coonass
Nov 30, 2002 11:57 AM
twice with plain water, then add a few drops of Chorine; shake well for a few seconds then pour out and let air dry. (I wash the mouth piece in soap/chlorine, rinse and let dry)
I place a few drops of chlorine in the bladder, fill with water and let it remain until my next ride....yes, there may be a slight-frosting of the interior of the bladder, but there won't be any bacteria.....
A tried & proven recipe for removing 'plastic taste/smell' from bottles, bladders, etc. is to fill 2/3 to 3/4 full with clear vinegar and top-off with plain water. Close device and allow it to remain for 24 hours. Pour all out and rinse twice with plain water...It will not have plastic, or vinegar smell.....clean smelling as glass!