|You know you have the bug when...............||GileyD|
Nov 14, 2002 5:19 AM
1) You need more cupboard space for your cycle clothing than you do for your "normal" clothes.
2) You have a smart pair of shoes for work, a pair of trainers for out of work, and a cycling shoe collection Imelda Marcos would be proud of.
3) Every pay-day you scan the bike websites for new bits of kit to buy, and hope you have enough money left to buy your kids the new shoes they need.
4) When shopping for a new car you tell your wife and the sales person you need something with lots of space for the kids and their toys. Really you are working out how many bikes will fit in the back.
5) When looking for a new house your wife checks out the kitchen, you check out the potential for bike storage and workshop facilities.
6) Your kids think it's normal to have a father who wears tights.
7) When catching sight of yourself in the mirror whilst wearing your riding kit you think how cool you look. To the rest of the non-riding population you look like a geek.
8) When cruising through town in your tightest lycra you feel sure that all the women are lusting over your athletic physique. In reality they think you're a geek.
9) Your kids leave the car full of sweet wrappers and chocolatey smears on the windows. You sigh and live with it. They leave a fingerprint on one of your bikes. You go beserk.
10) Your screen saver on your PC at work is always one of your cycling heroes in full flight. This confirms your colleagues' suspicions that you are rather odd.
Anyone got any more...........?
|re: You know you have the bug when...............||DCP|
Nov 14, 2002 6:18 AM
|1) The most expensive shoes you own are useless for walking.
2) You know how much those shoes weigh.
3) Your most expensive clothing is nothing you would want to be seen in at the grocery store.
|You're no longer self concious about shaving your legs.....||PEDDLEFOOT|
Nov 14, 2002 6:25 AM
|...and your kids think it's normal.|
|And unshaved legs on others look really odd . . .(nm)||Look381i|
Nov 14, 2002 8:20 AM
|When people say your legs are overdue for a shave||ms|
Nov 14, 2002 8:42 AM
|When the temperatures dropped about three weeks ago, I stopped shaving my legs -- my 13 year old daughter, who thought it was "gross" when I started shaving my legs at the beginning of the season, told me yesterday that my legs needed a shave.|
|8) No, they really ARE lusting after my (shaved) physique! nm||Spunout|
Nov 14, 2002 6:48 AM
|re: You know you have the bug when...............||mr tornado head|
Nov 14, 2002 7:59 AM
|- You switch out your car's gas & brake pedals with clipless
- Your s/o is upset with you spending hours in the bathroom with your "porn" - bike magazines & catalogs
- People at work ask you why you ride your bike to work. you reply with "Why don't you?"
- Whenever you see a motorcycle you try to figure out why the chain is on the wrong side
- You want to repaint the house "celeste"
Nov 14, 2002 8:05 AM
|b Things I've done:
-You spend 8 hours drilling screws through tires so you can ride in the snow. (they are soooo sweet)
-You clean the basement, giving stuff away, so you have more room for bikes. (gave away an unused jogging stroller)
-You dress your bike up like a Christmas tree so you can commute at night. (I get more attention than a fire truck)
-When buying a car, you factor in how the roof rack will look on it. (VW, all the way)
-Go to LBS, Bullsh!t for 3 hours, and then go home, having bought nothing. (Hey, they are friends)
-Make your co-workers listen to the TDF and Vuelta webcasts on Eurosport. (they were getting into it but will never admit it)
-Go out at dawn on a weekend with broom and shovel to clean nasty section of road on your commute route. (I reclaimed 3 feet of shoulder)
b Things I'm about to do:
-Put a TV in my basment workshop.
-You get the Dish just to have OLN.
|Buy the Nokian's||off roadie|
Nov 14, 2002 11:11 AM
|You are worth it. I tried a home-brew set that was OK, but I LOVE my 296 and 300x.
I suppsoe when you can justify a set of BIKE tires that cost over $150, you've got the bug...
That's right, they cost about $85 each. What's 8 hours of your time worth? What's avoiding several crashes worth? I use them to commute in the winter, but part of my route is un-paved, so it doesn't plow very well.
If you can't wait for the ice to form so you can use all that winter gear, you;ve got the bug...
|By definition you don't have the "bug" if you don't have OLN!||eyebob|
Nov 14, 2002 12:46 PM
|You check the weather reports constantly||ms|
Nov 14, 2002 8:09 AM
|Before I had the cycling bug, I paid little attention to weather reports. Now, I am checking them constantly to see how favorable conditions will be for my riding.
Other symptoms of the bug:
1) You are outside on the bike when "normal" people are at home sitting in front of the television watching people engage in sports.
2) Your neighbors don't know your name, but refer to you as "the guy who rides the bike."
3) You no longer look at bike messengers as being a different species.
|...or the weather channel becomes one of your favorites.||PEDDLEFOOT|
Nov 14, 2002 8:38 AM
|Oh no...weather.com & Accuweather.com are in my favorites...||biknben|
Nov 14, 2002 9:03 AM
|I like to be sure. :-)|
|How 'bout the Weather bug?||look271|
Nov 14, 2002 1:15 PM
|It is GOD. We worship the bug. We love the bug. Real-time weather you can check as you walk out the door!|
|You check the weather reports constantly||NewDayNewWay|
Nov 14, 2002 6:03 PM
|Related to #1... Last year, I watched Survivor and was addicted to the show. This year I read this message board while my wife watches Survivor in the other room!|
|re: You know you have the bug when...............||Allez Rouge|
Nov 14, 2002 8:34 AM
|When you're buying something and have to choose among similar items, you always buy the one that weighs the least. (Bonus points if it also costs the most.)
You notice a low tire on your car and without stopping to think about what you're doing, you inflate it to 120psi.
Your wife shows you some new silverware she's picked out and you ask, "Do they have this pattern in titanium?"
When you're in a hallway and pass someone walking more slowly than you are, you always say, "On your left."
Nov 14, 2002 9:10 AM
|When my wife and I registered for silverware I insisted on this one type that had a brushed finish. When we asked the sales lady for recommendations, she pointed out the brushed ones without knowing my wife and I had been squabbling over them. Since I liked them, and the lady recommended them, my wife gave in.
I later told my wife I prefered the brushed finished because it looked great on a Ti frame. She wasn't ammused. Since then my wife never hesitates to buy something with a brushed finish. She knows I'll like it. We have picture frames, lamps, candlesticks, etc. all with a brushed finish.
|I'll go you one better....I chose my car's finish because||RhodyRider|
Nov 14, 2002 11:57 AM
|it resembles Ti! No lie! When I bought my 9-3 back in March, I chose "Steel Gray Mica Metallic" paint because it sorta looks like the brushed Ti of my Litespeed! I'm SICK, I tell ya! (But, it is a damn nice finish for a car, if I do say so myself...correlation to bike notwithstanding.)
Also, I have a Skagen wristwatch that is brushed 3Al-2.5V...both the case and the link band. It is very light and comfy, and won't rust, and has "that certain feel", and and and....!
Somebody help me, please?!?
|I have my children trained.||McAndrus|
Nov 14, 2002 10:25 AM
|When I'm driving and we pull up to a stop sign my children will call out "clear right."|
|You get to work and log onto RBR first thing.||PEDDLEFOOT|
Nov 14, 2002 8:40 AM
|re: You know you have the bug when...............||desert-rider|
Nov 14, 2002 11:36 AM
|-Getting cable (OLN) to watch the Giro & Tour...then canceling til next year
-Cliff bars & HammerGel for dinner, while on a 2+ hour night ride
-You can get up before 4am to log 80 miles before the Arizona heat kills you, but you're hard pressed to make it to your day-job before 8:30
-A roof rack on every car (girlfriend now has my old one that doesn't fit the truck now......and EVERY car looks better with a roof rack)
|you're addicted to this message board like a crack addict||scary slow|
Nov 14, 2002 1:22 PM
|and fear losing your job because you toil away the work day reading post.|
|re: You know you have the bug when...............||NewDayNewWay|
Nov 14, 2002 5:57 PM
|When my six-year old daughter walks into my office (where I store a lot of my bike gear), she says "don't worry, Daddy, I'm not going to touch any of your bike stuff!"
Here's another one... You get just as excited to ride your bike when it's 20 degrees out as you do when it's 70 degrees out!