RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


Performance stands??(15 posts)

Performance stands??outofthesaddle
Nov 8, 2002 10:21 AM
I looked in the reviews and didn't find anything. Does anyone have a Performance Spin Doctor stand? The non adjustable version can be had today for $69 (normally $109). A good deal if it's a decent stand. Any input would be appreciated.
it is complete garbage.....save you money for a Park standscary slow
Nov 8, 2002 10:25 AM
it is complete garbage.....save you money for a Park standoutofthesaddle
Nov 8, 2002 10:39 AM
Curious - what is about the stand you don't like?
I don't think they are that badColnagoFE
Nov 8, 2002 11:00 AM
I have a Performance stand and it works well if you only use it occasionally as I do. The clamp is kinda hard to engage with one hand, but it works for me. If I were to do lots of bike work I'd get something differnt.
it is complete garbage.....save you money for a Park standscary slow
Nov 8, 2002 11:17 AM
the clamp on mine broke about a month after receiving it. i had to use a zip tie to keep the bike in the stand. it is not very stable. overall it is of poor quality. granted i bought mine about 2 years ago, so things may have changed since then. i have since purchased the folding park stand. it is light years ahead of the spin doctor and well worth the extra money spent.
i got the same one as a gift &..._rt_
Nov 8, 2002 11:46 AM
returned it the next day....

the clamp didn't work on mine either. it was complete junk.

what's worse is i was working for performance at the time!!

i'm pretty sure it's been redesigned since then.

rt
I like mine.. Spin Doctor Essentialdotkaye
Nov 8, 2002 10:52 AM
I've rebuilt two bikes on it, including removing and replacing BB on both, haven't had any problems. For the price it's just fine.

Have heard that the Deluxe isn't very good, poor clamping mechanism so it doesn't hold very well. But that's hearsay..
I have the DeluxeColnagoFE
Nov 8, 2002 11:01 AM
The clamping mechanism holds just fine, but is a bit hard to engage. Not a great design but it does work.
The Pro's clamp changed recently ...Humma Hah
Nov 8, 2002 12:27 PM
Not sure how the Deluxe compares to the Pro. I looked at a stand that was labeled "Spin-Doctor Pro" in Performance, which had a funky friction brake arrangement on the clamp that enabled you to rotate the bike without loosening anything. Looked wierd, but it seemed to work. I bought one.

Got mine home, opened the box, and found I had a MUCH nicer unit than the store display. Everything was more refined, and the friction brake was gone, replaced by an indexing mechanism. The unit is lightweight, folds up, but is sturdier than the consumer-grade Park stands they had in the store.

The clamp is a little awkward, but I'm quickly getting the hang of it. Seems to hold tightly once you learn to adjust it (kinda like vice-grip pliers).
The Pro's clamp changed recently ...outofthesaddle
Nov 8, 2002 3:52 PM
Thanks for the firsthand report. I just came home with the Pro instead of the Deluxe. It was on sale for $109 instead of $159. Couldn't pass that up.
You just HAD to go and tell me that, didn't you?Humma Hah
Nov 8, 2002 6:11 PM
... and there I felt like I'd gotten a good deal on mine, as opposed to the $199 for the Ultimate that somebody had recommended, or the $319 for a Park PCS3 pro single-bike stand with a 68-lb steel base.

But NOOOOO, you had to go and spoil it by telling me I coulda saved 50 bucks by waiting a few days, didntcha?

Well, I certainly hope you enjoy your new stand!
Humma, you may be due a rebateAllez Rouge
Nov 9, 2002 5:01 AM
I am 99.44% sure what follows is correct. That's pretty stout odds but there's still the other 0.56% -- okay?

If you buy something in this country (US), and the vendor puts it on sale within 30 days of the time you bought it, the vendor must refund you the difference if you ask for it.

It's worth a phone call to find out, right?
Sorry about that...outofthesaddle
Nov 12, 2002 4:32 PM
so far have had a few bikes up on it. Clamp seems to perform well. Could be sturdier but easier to move around so I guess that's the trade off.
I just bought a Spin Doctor Pro ...Humma Hah
Nov 8, 2002 11:05 AM
For about $160 from Performance. So far I've mounted two bikes on it to see how they handle, and installed one set of handlebars, but I really like the stand. We had quite a discussion on this topic on Components ... look back about 75 topics or so.
Good for price.Drupa
Nov 8, 2002 2:10 PM
Have the Spin Doctor Pro. It is made for Performance by Minoura. Good Quality.

Park is good, but there are crappy stands in their line also...