's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

do I have tendonitis or buritis? looking for those who know(6 posts)

do I have tendonitis or buritis? looking for those who knowishmael
Oct 1, 2002 7:10 PM
And does it really make a difference? Could I have the infected form of buritis? My glands are swollen in the front of my hips. This is probably due to my left nut has a epiditimitis that is always getting infected, but could that infection spread? As of now I'm taking advil and might get on antibiotics tomorrow. Please dont tell me to see a doctor. I have. two. And I get different answers from both of them. I've found those who know the most are those with first hand experience.

My symptoms came on somewhat suddenly while riding, a slight pinpoint ache in the back of the left knee. But now its in the front too. I had been riding a lot and raised my seat half a cm. But I also was a bit sick feeling which makes me think maybe buritis. The pain is a mild ache that goes on throughout the day and night, never getting worse no matter what motion I do . It is ever so slightly swollen directly behind my knee, does tendonitis swell? Acording to one doctor tendonitis doesnt swell and there arent tendons there so he's telling me I have buritis and he's getting me antibiotics. But how can you tell the infected kind from the over exertion kind without an invasive test? Is it possible. I should also say that I've had a slight ache in the back for just about ever and every fall this worsening seems to happend. It's not even cool out yet but I've riden more, but not that much more. I streach and ice too but had let that go for the days building up to where I am now. Everyone wants to be a doc but do you know what youre talking about? So what do I do?
re: do I have tendonitis or buritis? looking for those who knowS-U-B
Oct 1, 2002 8:03 PM
one of the best tests to determine tendenitis is to have somone else move the affected joint for you while you completely relax, if there is no pain but there is pain when you move the joint, that is tendenitis. I would suggest lowering your seat when you have pain behind the knee, and raising when it is in the front. You did the opposite. Since you say it does not get worse on any motion, it doesn't sound like tendonitis. I am a chiroptactor and it sounds like you could use one. I would not request medical advice from the general public because you will end up with uneducated information. When it comes to these types of problems Medical doctors are worthless and at best they may send you to a physical therapist who may be able to help. get your lower back checked, and also get your position on your bike evaluated. I had a similar problem and my seat was to high and to far back. good luck.
No self-serving comments in this post, no sir! (nm)Kerry Irons
Oct 2, 2002 5:14 PM
re: do I have tendonitis or buritis? looking for those who knowrrbfun
Oct 1, 2002 8:07 PM
If it is in the center of the back of your knee you may have a bakers cyst which is an inflammed bursa and some times helped with heat. Best bet is get a referral to a physical therapist, it would hurt to look in your local bike paper or ask around for one that specializes in treating cyclist's to make sure you biomechanics are correct and not a cause of your recurrent problem. Md are only there to pass out meds and ship youto some one that knows something. Hope this helps. And yes I am a physical therapist.
Dude, you're a messmickey-mac
Oct 1, 2002 8:08 PM
I mean, I know that response is absolutely no help, but you're a pretty young guy and you've got more ailments than most 70 year olds I know. Maybe you need to go in for a complete physical or a full-body scan or some other comprehensive diagnostic procedure. If I were a doctor, I think I'd send you off to one of those old-fashioned spas like the one depicted in "The Road to Wellville." If that didn't work, leeches would be the next course of action. Anyhow, best of luck to you. Other responses, I'm sure, will be more helpful than mine.
re: do I have tendonitis or buritis? looking for those who knowRom12_1
Oct 2, 2002 9:14 AM
Multiple issues here. The glands in your groin and your knee ailment are not likely related. Tendonitis and bursitis are almost never infectious. Antibiotics are not generally used for these. It is pretty hard to determine from a written story what is going on. I would suggest, in spite of some of the negative comments previously, that you see an orthopedist or someone who specializes in sports medicine for the knee/leg (physicians). The swollen glands, if present for any longer than a few weeks, should be checked out by a medical doctor. Generally, temdonitis and bursitis both respond to rest and antinflammatories like advil. However, there are a lot of other things that could be going on with your leg, so if persistent symptoms, I would see an orthopedic person.