RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


RE: Display on my Polar S-710 is bleeding...(5 posts)

RE: Display on my Polar S-710 is bleeding...divve
Sep 24, 2002 4:32 AM
Hi Mike,

I thought I'd better start a new subject now that the original one has practically fallen off the page. Regarding your S710 problem, I took mine this afternoon on the trail and watched specifically for the "oil slick" phenomena. I noticed that on my screen at least, it's totally dependent on the light angle. If you look right at the screen with the light coming more or less from above there's no problem at all. My guess is this isn't a defect. It's just due to the polarizing screen and the way it responds to the light. I guess you could argue that the screen might not be of stellar quality. However, it doesn't appear to effect the clarity of the digits on the display. I'm still able to clearly see the readout.

(Yeah, I'm a mountain biker as well and a "roadie" of the worst kind as I only ride on-road to make myself a better mountain biker :)
Here's Polar's response....SS_MB-7
Sep 24, 2002 5:07 AM
I received the following response from Polar and replied with the email below.

Since you've noticed the same thing (or something similar), I'm curious if yours is uniform throughout the display or does it appear splotchy (sp?) and/or wavy (bubbly)?

Ride Hard,
Mike B.

=======

"The S-series receiver lenses reflect rainbow colours on the edges of the lens when viewing it in certain angle in the sun. The effect is strong and dark especially when viewing the lens with sunglasses having polarised lenses. The receiver lens appears clear in cloudy weather, indoors or when viewed the display with non-polarised sunglasses.

The reflections are not intentional as they disturb the view. The phenomenon is caused by the manufacturing technology used in S-series receivers. The advantages of the In-Mould-Labelling technology are good water resistance, good durability and possibilities to use colours in design. The disadvantage is the multi layer structure generating light refraction thus causing the phenomenon described.

The effect can be minimised by turning the receiver to different angles when viewing the display and by using the non-polarised sunglasses.

Polar is continuously searching the solution for the lens improvement.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact customer service at 800-227-1314 or 516-364-0400.

Thank you for choosing Polar.

Customer Service
POLAR ELECTRO INC."

=======

I replied with the following:

I don't believe this to be a reflection issue -- this "bleeding" is below the surface of the lense and appears to be on the film used in LCD. The "bleeding" is similar to an oil slick on water and appears with or without sunglasses. Also, it is not a uniform effect but appears very sporadically throughout the display.

Agreed, the effects do seem change when the display is viewed from different angles. In some instances, viewing the display at an angle enhances the "bleeding", whereas other times, it lessens it.

Ride Hard,
Mike B.

=======
Here's Polar's response....divve
Sep 24, 2002 6:01 AM
It's indeed splotchy and more pronounced around the edges depending on the light angle. I think you shouldn't worry too much about it. It's a great training tool and will give you many years of enjoyment. However, if your screen seems to be much worse you could always take it to a shop and compare it to other 710 monitors, or send it back to Polar for a check up.
No doubt, it's a great training tool....SS_MB-7
Sep 24, 2002 6:23 AM
No doubt, it's a great training tool and I love all of the features. I was just concerned about the quality of the display.

90% of the time, it's perfect. However, the other 10% it's splotchy with an oil-slick appearance. On some occasions, simply changing the viewing angle eliminates the effect. Other times, it does not and the effect is viewed straight-on and at an angle....weird.

Ride Hard,
Mike B.
Kinda ironic that ...irregardless
Sep 24, 2002 6:55 AM
this Polar HRM doesn't work well with Polar-ized sunglasses.