|My SIDI's are stripped!||Mike Prince|
Sep 23, 2002 7:43 AM
|Went to replace my LOOK cleats on my Energy's over the weekend and discovered that one of the threaded inserts in the sole is cooked. Looks like it broke free of its mounting and moved back into the sole. After the existing cleat bolt was removed, it is free to spin and will not take a new cleat screw (not enough thread engagement plus it appears it is stripped). Also, it does not appear the threaded inserts are easily accessible for repair/replacement.
So, my question is, has anyone else experienced this? If so is it repairable? Shoes are 1.5 years old and were purchased in Europe while I was living over there - I'm now in the US again. Luckily I have a backup pair to ride with for the time being. Any advice would be appreciated. Good news (I guess) is that I can get new Energy's for a good price on closeout right now if necessary.
Sep 23, 2002 9:19 AM
|I have a pair of Energys (sp?), and although they haven't stripped, I've noticed that the threaded inserts don't seem particularly strong. I've actually wondered if anyone had a stripping problem.
Who's having the closeout on the Sidis?
|Total Cycling has Energys for $132......||ATLien|
Sep 23, 2002 1:13 PM
Sep 23, 2002 1:32 PM
|I stripped one on my old pair of Energies- the inserts are flimsy with a "soft" metal. My LBS said they could fix them, but I was ready to retire them anyway- FWIW. Now I am especially PARANOID when messing with the cleats- and I use a ton of grease on the screws, clean the threads before inserting them, etc... unfortunately, accessing the threaded sleeves is not easily accessible.|
Sep 23, 2002 4:37 PM
|Permatex makes a product called "Form-a-thread" (stripped thread repair) Item #81668. I've used it to repair stripped threads in stems....works great and much cheaper than a pair of shoes.|
|Forgot to mention...||coonass|
Sep 23, 2002 4:45 PM
|The kit is about $6, will allow torque up to about 128 ft.lbs, and 300°F.
Sep 24, 2002 5:15 AM
|I'll find some at the local auto parts store and give it a go. Looks like it should work to repair the damaged threads. Hopefully after the repair I'll be able to get a screw re-threaded into the insert and be able to pull it closer to the outer surface of the sole. That will completely fix the problem.
Thanks again for the help.