's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Converted Cannonball(4 posts)

Converted CannonballJaeP
Aug 30, 2002 9:01 PM
After more than 15 years of riding mtn. bikes and road bikes I just started going to the velodrome and I love it. I'm considering converting my old 3.0 Cannonball crit bike to use on the track. It's plenty stiff with a short wheelbase and high bottom bracket. The only drawback is it doesn't have horizontal dropouts. Would a Surly Singleator tensioner be the answer I am looking for? Are they reliable? Would it be safe? Also, would it be possible/feasiable to add 6mm (3 on each side) of spacers to a track hub to make it fit on my Cannonball? Or . . .

Would it be cheaper to buy a track bike instead?

It won't workPODIUMBOUNDdotCA
Aug 30, 2002 9:36 PM
I'm not sure if I'm right but I believe I am that without installing horizonal dropouts onto your old frame it is imposibble to make it a fixed gear single speed which is MANDATORY on the track. The Singlelator is great but I believe it is only meant for single speeds with a free hub. As such if you used it on a fixed single speed when you tried to backpedal to slow down it would rip the Singleator right off. So you pretty much need to buy a track bike.

Have fun on the track!

If you want to try Track..........Dave Hickey
Aug 31, 2002 4:45 AM
All you need is an old steel frame with horizontal dropouts. Search garage sales and thrift stores. You'll be able to get one dirt cheap. As Nick said above, you cannot use the Singleator on a fixed gear. Check out for fixed gear conversions. Here are a couple of sources for track frames and parts:

Thanks for the Info!JaeP
Aug 31, 2002 11:00 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful info. I'll be sure to check them out.

This place is the greatest . . .