's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

How to modify dropouts for fixed gear(12 posts)

How to modify dropouts for fixed gearfrogg
Aug 12, 2002 12:40 PM
I have an oldish bike That I want to fixed gear. Problem: the dropouts don't allow for chain-tension adjustment.

Any ideas on how to modify? I have thought about filing a groove or something....I don't mind ruining frame (it was $10). has chain tensioners that will work. (nm)onespeed
Aug 12, 2002 12:43 PM
you might not need to do anythingpukka
Aug 12, 2002 12:48 PM
depends on crank size and sprocket size but i've used 2 frames with regular drop outs and have got tension okay
Aug 12, 2002 12:50 PM
You can't use chain tensioners with a fixie. The best thing to do is find a gear combo that works for your given frame.
Aug 12, 2002 3:49 PM
If you want to go the super cheap route to S/S try going to "Bantrager's rant page". If you have to spend more than $10 to convert to S/S you're spending too much dinero amigo. Don't waste your money on a fixed rear hub unless its free for that $10 frame; get some free spacers from your LBS trash bin. In the same dumpster diving fashion use the same crankset with the big ring cut up leaving only the bolt holes...that way you won't have to buy spacers for your chainring bolts. Here's where it gets fun; chain tension...make your own "Singleater". Simply cut up an old trashed triple rear derailer and bend one of the cages to meet up with the chainline. VIOLA!!! Total cost "NADA".
Aug 12, 2002 5:24 PM
Single Speed is not the same as Fixed Gear.
That would be great if he wanted a singlespeed.Steve_0
Aug 13, 2002 3:49 AM
I think he wanted a fixer.
That would be great if he wanted a singlespeed.Steve_0
Aug 13, 2002 3:49 AM
(oops, shouldve read 'no' post first, sorry for redundancy)
Tension: 1 tooth is 1/8". 1 link in a chain is about 1/2".Dave Hickey
Aug 12, 2002 1:12 PM
By messing with different cog sizes, you can almost always get the chain tight enough.
re: How to modify dropouts for fixed geareddie m
Aug 12, 2002 4:38 PM
You can't do much with the drop outs, unless you can find a framebuilder who will replace them. There is also a hub called a Fixmeup that has an eccentric axle that allows some adjustment. You can't use a chain tensioner with a fixed gear. It might be cheaper to find another frame, but nice older frames that are usable for fixed gears are getting scarce.
Fix me up made my Fixed Innovations.Steve_0
Aug 13, 2002 3:47 AM
They also make an eccentric bottom bracket (nm)Stampertje
Aug 13, 2002 8:44 AM