RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

OLN's official response to "Where's Bob Roll?"(10 posts)

OLN's official response to "Where's Bob Roll?"Skip
Jul 8, 2002 5:21 PM
TOP | Post | Reply | Reply/Quote | Email Reply | Delete | Edit
Previous | Next | Previous Topic | Next Topic | Entire Topic
Topic: Bob Roll - OLN's Response (1 of 7), Read 83 times
Conf: 2002 Tour de France
From: moderator
Date: Monday, July 08, 2002 08:08 AM

Dear Cycling Fans,

Please be assured that OLN still plans on using Bob extensively in our future cycling coverage, but for this year's Tour the decision was made to go with a reporting team that had more knowledge of the current competitors.

Outdoor Life Network
More knowledge of the current competitors????????????? (nm)Skip
Jul 8, 2002 5:24 PM
whaa?!MaRider
Jul 8, 2002 5:30 PM
Since when the knowledge of current competitors is part of the job description? :)
just kiddinng, I think Bob Rohl is great. Sometimes his low voice puts me to sleep, but his comments are just as entertaining as Phil's and Paul's.
Perhaps Bob had another "accident" while getting through the french customs?
What a crock of s#it....Niwot
Jul 8, 2002 8:54 PM
... if "knowledge of the current competitors" was a requirement, none of the current TdF announcers would be there. On stage 1, when Bertogliati made his winning move, Phil & Co. must have named every rider on Lampre before they finally figured out it was Bertogliati. And Phil Liggett regularly mis-pronounces names or refers to a rider by the name of a similarly-named older rider, or in two cases (Merckx and Vasseur) by the name of the rider's father.

Give us a freakin' break, OLN. If you decide to use some clueless hack instead of Bobke, don't insult Bob's knowledge of cycling -- he's forgotten more than all your other guys will ever know.
word on the street is it came down to $ (nm)king of Norway
Jul 8, 2002 9:18 PM
huh???seyboro
Jul 9, 2002 2:51 AM
Whoa, boizzz!! That what's-his-name-American-guy is truly a gem. Yesterday he admitted to frequent "brain-freezes" and told us he has "never learned to ride a bike". WOW!!
huh??? #2seyboro
Jul 9, 2002 2:53 AM
Sorry, I meant "brain cramps". Now, that's better!
i cringed when i heard him say that.EpicX
Jul 9, 2002 8:22 AM
it was like when a blonde does something stupid and says something like "i'm so silly". no sh|t...
I thought it was a moment of lucid self-awareness...klay
Jul 9, 2002 11:31 AM
...brought about by countless emails to OLN.

I thought it was funny and just slightly self-effacing too. Now that he's admitting what he doesn't know, he is primed and ready to learn what he needs to.

I just want to hear him say, "components," again. nmkid4lyf
Jul 9, 2002 11:42 AM
nm