RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Anyone know about Leader Bikes(8 posts)

Anyone know about Leader Bikeskid4lyf
Jul 8, 2002 11:42 AM
Does anyone have any info on a company called LeaderBikes. They claim to have been manufacturing frames for other companies for years. They are selling an Alum main/carbon rear (model 780) frame with very attractive pricing.
Must be from Taiwan.elviento
Jul 8, 2002 12:57 PM
If I were you I'd avoid it. Even if you get some positive feedback, I doubt the owners will have first hand comparisons against Pinarello Prince or Colnago CT1.

I hope I don't sound snobbish but I did have a China made bike marketed in the US and often touted as a terrific value, and I was happy with it. But only until I test rode and switched to other bikes, an OCLV, among others.

Of course I am not saying all bikes made in Asia are of poor quality. Giant has a very good reputation and their new carbon bike seems pretty high on people's lust list. But the leader isn't really proven, and the bike frame is the last item I want to take risk on.
No, they are a manufacturerkid4lyf
Jul 8, 2002 1:21 PM
That is their main claim. They have been making frames for other companies for a while and now they are building them under their own name.
No, they are a manufacturerTed
Jul 8, 2002 1:39 PM
ummm .. they could still be from Taiwan. There are plenty of manufacturers from Taiwan. Most low cost bikes come from there.

Ted
They make their bikes in Asia....Dave Hickey
Jul 8, 2002 1:53 PM
And as the above poster said, thats not a bad thing. I have a couple of Asian made bikes and I'm very please with their workmanship. As for Leader, Here is what other people have said.

Message 2 in thread
From: Youesad3544 (youesad3544@cs.com)
Subject: Re: Leader Bikes...need info
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.marketplace
View this article only
Date: 2002-05-17 07:30:53 PST

I bought one of there frames about two months ago. They are very heavy. Id
buy something else if it were me.

Anthony Brown
Message 3 in thread
From: bfd (bfd853@yahoo.com)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.marketplace
View this article only
Date: 2002-05-17 13:45:00 PST

youesad3544@cs.com (Youesad3544) wrote in message news:<20020517103050.05887.00000233@mb-cp.news.cs.com>...
> I bought one of there frames about two months ago. They are very heavy. Id
> buy something else if it were me.

Aren't these frames made in Taiwan and sold over the net, and on ebay,
by a singapore company.....
Message 4 in thread
From: Peter Potter (peterpotter@adelphia.net)
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.marketplace
View this article only
Date: 2002-05-17 17:52:17 PST

I bought one. It weighs 4#, 58cm. Nicely shaped tubeset and stays. Very
stiff. Nice paint, good welds and workmanship. It came ready to install
parts--that is no chasing, facing or milling.

It is made in Taiwan, but the company headquarters are in California. They
are an oem manufacturer for a number of other bike companies, and are
looking to expand their business by introducing their own line here. They
are looking for dealers to sell their frames.
No, they are a manufacturerda cyclist
Jul 8, 2002 1:56 PM
They're a US company that owns an asian factory (taiwanese, I think). Their top of the line carbon model looks to be identical to the epx 303 and the carbon monoque sold by casati, bp stealth, and argon 18 among others. Just remember that even though a bike has a fancy italian name on it, doesn't mean that it is actually made in Itally. You didn't really think that all colnagos are made in Italy, did you?
this could make a good GRE/GMAT logic question;-)elviento
Jul 8, 2002 5:31 PM
X: They must be from Taiwan.

Y: No, they are a manufacturer.
That is their main claim. They have been making frames for other companies for a while and now they are building them under their own name.

Q: If Y is right, then which of the following must be true?

(A) All factories making frames for others have a main claim;
(B) Taiwan companies typically make frames for other companies;
(C) There are no manufacturers in Taiwan;
(D) Companies that have their own name do not make frames for others.

The correct answer is (C).
I Just Posted a Review of My Experience Above (nm)CJMeredith
Jul 8, 2002 4:37 PM