's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

bike insurance(19 posts)

bike insuranceweiwentg
Jun 14, 2002 10:31 AM
how can a student who does not own his own home get his bike insured? if I stay in collegiate cat C any longer, I might need it...
renter's insurancelaffeaux
Jun 14, 2002 10:39 AM
... often covers bikes.
ok ... and if I stay in the dorms?weiwentg
Jun 14, 2002 10:42 AM
I can still get renters insurance?
Jun 14, 2002 10:58 AM
you're renting the dorm arent you?
renter's insurance typically covers all personal possessions in a rented unit, and some degree of liabilty (so when youre drunken frat-bro cracks his head after tripping on your beer-bong, you'll be set!!)
re: bike insurancepinarello
Jun 14, 2002 10:49 AM
It's possible that your parents home owners may cover you since you are in school. This will need to be investigated by calling your parents carrier. Also consider delux insurance. Insurance has a thing with pro-rating things and bike's are one of them. If you get the replacement clause in your policy then there is no argument. Catapult
re: bike insuranceTschako
Jun 14, 2002 10:50 AM
Are you currently living out of your parents' wallet? If so, their home-owners policy should cover it.
yes, I do...weiwentg
Jun 14, 2002 11:15 AM
but they're in Singapore. I'm in the US.
re: bike insuranceNo_sprint
Jun 14, 2002 10:57 AM
Your insurance options will vary. Basically you'll have to get renters insurance. Some insurers will have large deductibles and offer depreciated value on claimed items. Secondly, if you're talking about getting a broken bike replaced, forget it, especially if a problem occurs in a race. Renters insurance is coverage only for theft, flood, fire, etc. My suggestion is you check with an insurer that your family has a relationship with, or the company that handles your current car insurance. You'll likely get completely burned if you call up some local agent out of the blue and order up some renters insurance ala carte.

I use the same company that handles my car insurance, car loans, life insurance, etc. They're great. We've got special notes on all high value stuff ($5000+). No deductible and 100% purchase or replacement cost is covered. I'd offer you their name, however, you've got to be a vet or child of a vet.

I would say for a college aged dude, forget the insurance for now. If your dorm gets robbed or burns, you'll go after the school and get way more than any renters insurance would give ya. Start thinking about it when you have 30 thousand worth of stuff not including a car.
animal doctors have their own plan!?!?SteveO
Jun 14, 2002 11:32 AM
My experiencePODIUMBOUNDdotCA
Jun 14, 2002 11:16 AM
Just go to an insurance company and enquire is my advice. But having insurance is the single best thing you can do. As long as you "attempt" to lock your bike up the insurance should cover it. Then if you are unlucky enough to get hit by a car in a hit and run like I was last year a week before Nationals. Insurance will pick up the bill. Although enquire about somethiong like this when you get the insurance.

Take care,
Nick Corcoran
Really, what insurance do you have?Wayne
Jun 14, 2002 11:32 AM
I looked into this extensively when I finally got a bike worth insuring. As the above poster stated homeowners/renters only covers theft, fire, etc. not you or someone else wrecking your bike. I even tried to get a rider (i think that's want it's called) and every insurance company I talked to said no way would they give me something to cover damage to the bike in the event of an accident.
You can insure your bike through USCF real cheap (mine was about $50 for a $4000 bike for a year), and that covers any mishap but only at USCF events.
The impression I got was that if you wrecked or got hit by a car and somebody else wasn't at fault so that you could get money from their insurance company you were SOL, but Nick seems to have found out otherwise.
Its bike insurance but it covered the *hit and run*PODIUMBOUNDdotCA
Jun 14, 2002 1:45 PM
Its specific coverage on the bike. It costs me about $100 Canadian per year and although technically it shouldn't cover any mishaps like a hit and run it does. If your racing and crash or just crash however it will not cover this stuff. I think the nature of a hit and run is why they cover it.

Nick Corcoran
Its bike insurance but it covered the *hit and run*Ted
Jun 14, 2002 1:54 PM
Who do you use? I live in Rural Alberta (used to be Edmonton now Lac La Biche) and the best I can find is 5 bucks per hundered. I wanted to put in on my new Marinoni but at $200 per year I thought better of it.


Jun 14, 2002 2:37 PM
I use Cooperators. If the price is to high just try to talk them down. And for the record it was a hit and run and did need a police report. You can't file a police report when your on your own! But you can if your bike is stolen... so it is worth it.

Nick Corcoran
i have dorm insurancenamir in SoCal
Jun 14, 2002 12:02 PM
hey there: i'm a college student myself, and my parents took out a policy for me this past year to replace any high-value stuff-- computer, stereo, search and rescue gear, etc. believe me, i will be adding my bike to the value of the policy when i return to school in the fall. i can't remember the name of the insurance company, but i know we got the information from the school. if you can't find anything, let me know and i'll research it for you. it's totally worth it-- my friend's girlfriend had a brand-new laptop stolen out of her room (she didn't have a roommate) and the school told her "tough luck", but the insurance covered it no questions asked. let me know.
will they cover you if you crash during a race? nmweiwentg
Jun 14, 2002 3:48 PM
will they cover you if you crash during a race? nmnamir in SoCal
Jun 14, 2002 5:09 PM
theft only
Jun 15, 2002 9:46 AM
My policy only covers stuff that isn't my fault and you can file a police report about. So leaving your bike locked up and it gets stolen. A police report can be filed. A hit and run... the same thing.

Nick Corcoran
I suppose I could sue the race organizer :p nmweiwentg
Jun 15, 2002 2:36 PM