's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

I need a "fix"(8 posts)

I need a "fix"haydensimons
May 20, 2002 8:14 PM
I've been reading about the joys of a fixed gear bike. I've decided that I just have to have one. I'm completely broke though. Is there any cheap way to get one? I do my own wrenching on the road bike I have so I am not nervous about building one up, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid it is going to be too costly too. Any help from the "cult" that is dead set on the positives of the fixed gear?
re: I need a "fix"gtx
May 20, 2002 8:47 PM
here's a good place to start
re: I need a "fix"dustin73
May 20, 2002 9:25 PM
Surly has some stuff for converting a wheel under the "PARTS" section at

however, i'm the type that would rather buy a wheel than risk "converting" an old one (which is why i bought a dedicated SS frame). you could probably get a Suzue rear hub and lace it to whatever rim for about 120$.

then again, i have read of some people using a track cog and BB lockring or something...maybe someone can comment on that.

if you want to go all out, there's always the Phil flip-flop that is oh-so-nice.

however, after that you have to consider chainstay length and what gear ratio you're gonna want to run.
Freewheel hub is all you needRay Sachs
May 21, 2002 9:04 AM
"then again, i have read of some people using a track cog and BB lockring or something...maybe someone can comment on that."

When I first converted my old mid-80's Bianchi to a fixed, I just removed the derailures and shifters, removed the freewheel and added a track cog and BB retaining ring (it's not really a lock ring - goes on in the same direction as the cog, but it helps reduce the odds of unthreading the cog). Rode it like that for quite a while. You do have to check and make sure the "lock" ring is tight every few rides - I neglected to do this for a while and got a rude surprise when I backpedalled the cog right off the hub.

Once I was good and sure I was addicted, I took off the rear brake and second chainring and had a rear wheel built around a flip-flop hub. You should be able to find an old road bike with horizontal dropouts for next to nothing to do this minor surgery on.

cheap solutions.SteveO
May 21, 2002 3:07 AM
Buy a circa-80's road bike from a garage sale (under 100 bucks). These bikes have horizontal drops and freewheel hubs which is all you need for a conversion. Add a 20 dollar sprocket and youre good to go.
80's racersAndante
May 21, 2002 2:25 PM
Yeah, pick up any 80's racing bike with horzontal dropouts and you are only out $20 more bucks for the cog. You can get a classic Colnago or Somec or Paramount. Rescue an old classic!!
Try Suzue Hubsczardonic
May 21, 2002 8:28 AM
Get yourself a Suzue Basic rear track hub. They are available here for $26.95. Make sure to get a track lockring as well, as the hub does not come with one. You may have to add some washers for spacing and dish the wheel to get the chainline right.

I built a fixed gear with Suzue hubs and Surly cog and lockring and so far they've been great. Can't beat the price.
I did it cheap.look271
May 21, 2002 4:45 PM
I had an old early 80's Bianchi that I converted. Bought a flip-flop rear wheel on ebay for about $50, new chain, took off the derailers, kept the brakes,took off the outer chainring, had to buy a track cog and the other side is a freewheel, ss. All told,less than $100.