RoadBikeReview.com's Forum Archives - General


Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )


Bzzzzzzzzzzz(5 posts)

BzzzzzzzzzzzNeedSpeed
May 2, 2002 1:31 AM
It's that time again: warm, long springtime rides for hours, late sunsets and our nemesis. Wasps, hornets and bees. Since I wear my hair closely shorn (a la Pantani), I can easily pull a wasp into my approaching slipstream and right into my helmet. I now wear a bandana beneath my helmet, but is it thick enough to prevent getting stung in the head? Has this happened to anyone else?
I got stung by a busy beeeschelon
May 2, 2002 5:37 AM
while riding last summer. I didn't have a do-rag on either. The bee got caught inside my helmet and stung me on the top of my forehead. I immediately pulled over and sprayed water on the dirt and grabbed a handfull of the mud and started to rub it on my forehead to remove the stinger...the pain wasn't as bad anymore but the swelling did get worse.
well, they can sure sting through lycra and castelli jerseys!...JS Haiku Shop
May 2, 2002 5:45 AM
had one in my helmet last thursday. glad there weren't any cars around--i was all over the road removing the lid and tossing it aside. no casualties, except maybe the bee. i wear a cycling cap under my helmet, thought it probably wouldn't have stopped the bee from stinging me. this, however, is a good reason to wear your glasses UNDER the helmet straps, not over.

not sure i'd worry too much about it. if you're going to get stung, well...you're going to get stung. in the last 3 years, i've been stung on the arm, leg, side (ribcage, under arm), and in the...um...you know. and all while on the bike. funny thing is that i'm quite allergic. two of the four times, i ended up in hospital.

good luck, and have confidence in the knowledge that i'm out there getting stung way above my quota to take the pressure off you guys. enjoy!
Twice this year.....Dave Hickey
May 2, 2002 5:57 AM
Both times the bees hit me in the chest and stung me.
re: BzzzzzzzzzzzSnowBlind
May 2, 2002 9:06 AM
I inhaled one, got stung on the roof of the mouth. THAT is painful!
On the plus side, they taste WAY better than Monarch butterflys...