's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

Wheel Question(4 posts)

Wheel Questionnew1
Apr 12, 2002 6:38 PM
Please help a new girl out... what is the difference between a clincher and a tubular wheel? Thanks in advance
Apr 12, 2002 7:00 PM
Always happy to help.

Tubular is the kind that you glue the tires on. The rim is just a smooth concave metal piece. The tire on these wheels are sealed with no opening except for the valve opening.

Clincher is the one with the tubes and the tires. The rim on this one is concave with two side wall sticking out so the tire hook on to it. The tire on these wheels have a opening in the medium for the tubes.
re: Wheel Questionmduell
Apr 12, 2002 7:02 PM
Clincher: Butyl or Latex tube inside a rubber shell, if you pop a tire, usually you only replace the tube.

Tubular: Just the tube, obvisouly with thicker rubber and traction on the outside. If you pop a tire, you replace the whole thing.

Mark Duell
re: Wheel QuestionMe Dot Org
Apr 12, 2002 10:32 PM
Years ago, tubulars were considerably lighter than clinchers, and many riders were willing to put up with the inconvenience of having to glue tires to the rim in order to get the added performance.

Modern clinchers have gotten lighter, and now most roadies buy clinchers. Nothing wrong with tubulars, but the inconvenience/benefit ratio in relation to clinchers has changed...