's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

knee tendinitis(8 posts)

knee tendinitisishmael
Mar 30, 2002 11:33 AM
im pretty sure i have it in the back of my knee, anyone else had it who could tell me what to always seems to resurface when i ride hard for a couple of not going to a doc because i cant afford it...
re: knee tendinitisjason in nh
Mar 30, 2002 3:52 PM
not tendonitis. the tendon that runs near the knee runs over the front. connecting your shin and quad. Might be your position is wrong. Try pushing your seat forward on its rails a centimeter or two.
hope this helps
re: knee tendinitisishmael
Mar 30, 2002 5:15 PM
isnt there a tendon from the back of you calf to the knee, there must be, i think thats the one with the problem. Its sore at the back of the knee and somewhat to the inside. my seat is a bit under the recommended seat height, i think its like .833 or something, whatever it is its right. and my knee is over the spindle, it all started from too many miles spinning with my seat too high i think and now it keeps coming back, sounds like tendonitis to me, its also located more outside of the knee than a real knee problem.
sounds like tendinitis to mespeedisgood
Mar 31, 2002 3:48 AM
Usually pain behind the knee is started, like you said, by having the seat too high and doing a lot of miles that you're not accustomed to. I'd bet it's a hamstring tendinitis, tho it could be other tendons in the area. Start icing the area 1-3 X per day for 20-30 min. especially after rides. Also, a hot pack on the area for 10-20 min. before you ride can be good. Stretch your calf and hamstring. Back off on your riding volume (and intensity if it hurts doing hard efforts) for a few days to let your body recover and slowly work back up.
tendonitis??? I would not be so sure.....Barnyard
Mar 31, 2002 5:30 AM
There are trouble spots on the human body that cause many people aggravation. For instance, sartorious (aka tailor's mucscle) is prone to bother many atheletes. I believe there is a small muscle that runs horizontally across the back of the knee, that is also prone to cause athletes discomfort. If you talked with a doctor, I'm sure they'd be very familiar with your discomfort. Finally, if this is not the problem, I think the answer is more likely bursitis than tendonitis.
Treatment's the same . . .speedisgood
Mar 31, 2002 8:36 AM
for either bursitis or tendinitis. These are both overuse type injuries and the treatments are basically the same. Rest (or atleast backing off a little), stretching, heat before activity, ice after activity, and most importantly, correcting and/or eliminating the cause of the overuse.

I forgot in my other post to mention that NSAIDs (like ibuprofen or naproxen/naproxen sodium; get the generic stuff) can be very helpful in reducing pain and swelling to get over the hump. Take according to the directions on the package.

FWIW, the only bursa on the medial aspect of the knee is the pes anserine bursa, which basically reduces friction between the pes anserine tendons (gracilis, semitendinosus, and sartorius.) As you say, the sartorius (along with the other tendons) commonly gets inflamed at its' insertion in the pes anserine area (inside of the knee.)

Tho I hate to evaluate injuries w/o seeing them in person, my money is still on tendinitis, either one of the hamstrings or the gastroc as it crosses the knee.
i have another symptomishmael
Mar 31, 2002 12:25 PM
i have a slight catch when pulling the foot up to my ass, this is in the back of the knee where the dull pain is....i just noticed this catch when i tried to lift a couple of weights and see how it felt...the pain i mentioned earlier is kind of generally in the back and slightly to the inside of the knee..also you mentioned that correcting the cause of the overuse injure, how should i do seat is now positioned correctly and i got speedplay and it doesnt seem to have of now im going to take alot of time off and maybe find another sport..any sports you would recommend,any advice at all would be a help, the more the long do you think i should take ibuprofin and are there any good streaches or exercises (weights maybe) you recommend...thanks
i have another symptomJustride
Mar 31, 2002 2:55 PM
You really should see a physician! I know you stated you can't afford it but it might be cheaper than parking an expensive road bike and taking up a new sport and buying new gear. With the right diagnosis your teatment may be very simple. I know how frustrating this type of injury can be. Good luck!