's Forum Archives - General

Archive Home >> General(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 )

How do I determine what kind of tubing...(5 posts)

How do I determine what kind of tubing...Lone Gunman
Feb 17, 2002 10:09 AM
was used on my 1978 steel frame? Other than taking it to a metallurgist who would tell me "yep, cromoly steel tubing alright" can possible a history buff know of the type of tubing being used by Trusty Bike Company in the late 70's at the Viking bicycle factory in England.

I am looking to rebadge my project bike with a tubing sticker. No info on Classic Rendevouz or Sheldon Brown's site on the tubing, but I may email and ask.
re: How do I determine what kind of tubing...Akirasho
Feb 17, 2002 12:33 PM
Try posting the question here...

We abide.

Remain In Light.
Reynolds 531 or 501CT1 Guy
Feb 17, 2002 1:23 PM
Most probably Reynolds 531 - chrome managanese, or Reynolds 501 - chrome molybdenum
re: How do I determine what kind of rider
Feb 17, 2002 2:38 PM
My one friends rides a 1980 performance bike. He collects old bikes and told me that in the 70's the bike built from steel were mainly "Tange" steel. I guess that was before they started using true tempor steel.
Japanese = Tange, English = ReynoldsKerry Irons
Feb 17, 2002 4:51 PM
And Italian bikes were columbus in the 70s. As a percentage, a relatively small fraction were built with Tange, as the performance market in the late 70s was a lot of Italian, French, English, and US built bikes - the Japanese (and later Taiwan) started at the low end of bikes and so didn't have a big share of performance frames in the late 70s.